Wall lights to mains plug socket

It would be far better to extend the lighting circuit. Using an FCU from the ring final will work, and it's safe to do so, but from a good workmanship point of view, it should be seen as a last resort.
I disagree - I don't see why it should be viewed as a last resort. Provided it's done by putting an FCU on the socket circuit, then running to a light switch (i.e. not the hideous idea of a plug & socket), and the cables are all in the right zones, I don't think that would be poor workmanship.

I disagree, but that's just personal opinion.

It will probably entail significantly more work than using the existing lighting circuit,
If there's a new wall going up, then by the sounds of it it won't, even if lifting the carpet upstairs isn't a hassle.

If there's a new wall going up, then how are the cables for the sockets and proposed lighting FCU going to get there? Obviously none of us have seen the job in hand, but it doesn't sound as if it would truly be difficult to run from the lighting circuit, especially if the only barrier is a new piece of carpet!

and may also be confusing to a future occupant should they wish to isolate the lighting in that room for any reason.
Easily remedied with a bit of documentation. And it can be useful to have lighting on 2 separate circuits.

A bit of documentation that can get damaged or go missing? I don't disagree with you that running lighting circuits via an FCU from the ring final is a potential option, but I still don't think it's the best way forward.

Sponsored Links
Ban all sheds just to clarify i need a diagram to follow just so as i know i have done it correctly i have some knowledge of electrics but am not knowledgable in jargon etc so the diagram would break it down simpler i only want to do it this way as it is more straightforward it can be done before all the plasterboard goes on
thanks
mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back