wall material to enclose porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a detached bungalow with an open porch area approx 3m x 1.1m. The bungalow roof (and gable end) overhangs this porch supported by the property wall on 2 sides and a brick pillar in the far (front) corner which shall be retained.

I want to enclose the porch area. Others have done this by just using UPVC frame and glazing ( the walls are not load bearing) but we are not keen on this. We would like to brick up the 2 open sides (and have small windows) but the narrow width precludes using a cavity block wall. The 2 main alternatives would seem to be a stud wall with internal insulation (and vapour barrier etc) or a single block wall with external insulation like Kingspan ( the external finish will be stone cladding / internal finish to plaster).

Which method would allow the best insulation (u value)? Are there "special" lightweight insulated blocks for this type of job ( I read somewhere less dense blocks have better insulation values). Any better suggestions? The enclosed porch will be heated so the aim is best insulation value for a circa 200mm thick wall to allow a finished internal width of 0.9m

Sponsored Links
If the heating is connected to the house system then building regulations will apply, and that will determine what walls to build.

I built my porch walls from 4x2 stud work, with 100mm Celotex type insulation within the studwork, and 25mm Celotex type insulation across the inside. 5" of Celotex is adequate for a roof, let alone a wall, and the foil provides a vapour barrier. I then used plasterboard on the inside, and OSB, breather membrane, battens and cedar cladding on the outside.

you obviously have a desire to heat it, but why? most porches aren't heated, and as woody says, it gets difficult regs wise.
Just enclosing it will make it seem very much warmer

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.The heating will not be connected to the house. It will be a standalone electric rad switched on from the porch. I think that satisfies the regs (or use to). GTH's solution seems a good one, what thickness/grade OSB did you use? Would Marine Ply be better?

I used 11mm, I think. There's no need for anything more expensive than that; it's only to provide rigidity to the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back