Wall mounted letterbox - base rusting out, any tips on possible repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall mounted letterbox, as an example it looks roughly like this:

The base is starting to rust out and fold down a little in one corner (and getting loose on one edge too) and I'm wondering how I could repair it.

I really don't want to spend any money on a new one if I can help it.

Can't really use any kind of adhesive due to the rust.

Any ideas please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks, had wondered if that might be the case. Shame really, I prefer to repair things where possible (taking costs into account).

Next time buy a stainless steel one (which is what gets fitted a lot on new builds). They cost more, but they generally don't rust. TBH I don't understand why manufacturers insist on making these things out of thin mild steel with a spray coating of paint - thicker steel, powder coated or hot dip galvanised would last far, far longer (but cost as much as stainless...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I didn't buy the current rusting one, it was already in place when I bought the property - but point taken, will look for a good stainless steel one.

I fitted a wall mounted post box like this for a tenant a few years ago and it took less than 3months for the flap to be ripped off its hinges.

I've had the same thing happen with a normal letter box when the post 'person' couldn't be bothered to knock on the door and tried to force an oversized parcel through. Once it's busted it only gets worse.

I've contemplated buying one that doesn't have a flap at all - same design as a Royal Mail red letter box.. Then there's nothing to break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back