Wall paper alternatives?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, my hall way is ready for redecorating, the walls will more than likely need a bit of work after the woodchip is removed.

The problem is it's also the only access from the back garden so it gets pushbikes and green bin etc dragged though and paper isn't really up to the odd accidentally knock/ mark.

I'm half considering tiling the walls but is there any other viable alternatives anyone has used?.

Being able to wipe the odd tyre mark off is top of the list really.

Cheers, Keith.

Sponsored Links
Wallrok lining "paper" and scrubbable emulsion.

If the house is Victorian/Edwardian they knew a bit about hallways and used embossed paper plus a dado rail that just needed a wipe or repaint

Wood panelling up to hip height?

Sponsored Links
Years ago, i painted my hallway walls with dead flat oil based paint. I was so impressed with the durability that I then painted the kitchen with oil based eggshell.

I lined the walls first, applied waterbased U/C, sanded lightly and then applied the oil based paints (using both terebene and Owatrol Oil).

Downsides? Smell and the fact that the paint will yellow slightly in time (not too much of an issue if you are going for an off white colour).

The finish was much, much more durable than any waterbased finish. You could scrub it with a green webrax pad without worrying about shinny spots.

I was particularly pleased with the oil based eggshell in the kitchen, the finish was sooooo smooth and I could use meths to wipe away cooking fat splatters- you can't do that with waterbased paints.

Oil based paints over lining paper provide a very "hard" finish. I suspect that the surfaces were harder than emulsion over plaster.

Tiles in a hall?

The PVC sheets aren't great - some can be damaged very easily by trying to move furniture etc. And if a picture hook is fitted, then it's relocated, repairing the hole is difficult.

Painted woodchip wallpaper is good, covers a multitude of sins and can be easily re-painted...

Tiles in a hall?

The PVC sheets aren't great - some can be damaged very easily by trying to move furniture etc. And if a picture hook is fitted, then it's relocated, repairing the hole is difficult.

Painted woodchip wallpaper is good, covers a multitude of sins and can be easily re-painted...

I agree wrt to the PVC. Wood chip however sticks out like sore thumb when trying to patch in damaged sections. On the other hand, a decent decorator can, for example, fill chases in a lined wall.

The finish was much, much more durable than any waterbased finish. You could scrub it with a green webrax pad without worrying about shinny spots.

I was particularly pleased with the oil based eggshell in the kitchen, the finish was sooooo smooth and I could use meths to wipe away cooking fat splatters- you can't do that with waterbased paints.

Oil based paints over lining paper provide a very "hard" finish. I suspect that the surfaces were harder than emulsion over plaster.[/QUOTE]
I remember doing the whole of a room in an old hospital with oil eggshell, with my old dad - nearly gassed ourselves :eek: Can't see it being used by the NHS now;)

I remember doing the whole of a room in an old hospital with oil eggshell, with my old dad - nearly gassed ourselves :eek: Can't see it being used by the NHS now;)

Admittedly it was smelly when I painted my kitchen but at the time most of my work was painting MDF wardrobes and bookcases with oil based eggshell. The paint needed to cover a 4m wardrobe is about the same as the amount needed to paint a 4m*4m room once you factor in the doors, carcasses and shelves.

I believe that shellac based paints such as BIN are still used in hospitals given that the smell dissipates so quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back