Wall Plate Height

I have ordered all my tiles. Ended up with these double roman in rustic.

I am just spending some time working out the gauge for the lath battens.

gauge.JPG

This may seem a silly question but does the first row of tiles sit on the fascia board that is nailed to the end of the rafters? If so do you set the fascia board top edge so that you end up with the same fall as the tiles that overlap?

If you leave the first tile to sit on the rafter end (with or without a batten) it would appear you end up with the end tile drooping.

IMG_6563.JPG IMG_6564.JPG

Sponsored Links
You may be able to rest a lath or lath on edge on or behind the fascia. This gets hidden by the eaves tray.

Or if you have the correct depth fascia and it can be raised without messing up the soffit line, then just measure how high it needs to be by repeating what you did in those photos.

If you are using over-fascia eaves vents, then allow for those

Thanks woody. I had not factored in these items. Do building regs demand an eaves tray and eaves vent?

So I should be aiming for something like this (but with a flush finish for my fascia as i dont want to over hang too much).

Fascia-ventilation.jpg

Despite a flush finish of fascia, always allow for a drip so that water does not run off the fascia and then down the wall.

Eaves tray is a must. Vents will depend on your building control person. Breathable membrane will breath on its own, but some building control people insist (wrongly) on vents too - normally from eaves to abutment, or if you have a mono-gable at each end, from end to end.

But if you use an "air open" membrane, which is more vapour permeable than a standard one, then you wont need vents and the building control person should know that.

Eaves vent can do above the fascia, or below in a soffit - or in your case a vent strip between the wall and fascia.

Sponsored Links
I have witnessed a breathable membrane roof dripping from the inside due to condensation so choose your venting wisely. When conditions are highly supportive towards condensation, i.e. house full of moisture and very cold outside, crap loft hatch etc, it does not hurt to have a run of OF vents along the top of the fascia.

Discreet and cheap. Not all BCO's are as one dimensional as the ones Woodplops chooses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back