Where should this wall plate go.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am building a porch just like our neighbour. Given 4b2 rafters where is the best place to position the the wall plate(the top of it)

I have taken a picture of neighbours porch(we has same proportions) and have put some yellow lines.

Should the top of the wall plate be level with the top yellow line or below? Or in the middle?

Just to note I am using 2b1 lath and the bricks are 73mm.

In addition should the 4b2 be bolted into mortar or brick?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Bolt it into the brick. probably lower than that
From your window down allow 6 inches (4 inches minimum if your tight for height)for your flashing, another inch for your tiles an inch for your battens and then another 5 to 6 inches for your rafters. That will be the top of your wall plate.

You won't fix the pole plate until you have mocked up a pattern rafter. This can be done relatively easily by using the underside of your neighbours cloak as a guide.
We would first set out our bottom plate/purlin and mark off the lower b/m cut on the pattern rafter too. Once the bottom wall plate/purlin is in place we would then offer up a pair of rafters at each end then offer in the pole plate and fix it.

The reason I say plate or purlin will be dependant upon whether the porch is a solid wall fella or an open one with pillars, posts or gallows etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back