Wall Plate Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a small side extension and hopefully roofing it soon. I am trying to work out the maximum pitch I can achieve. The side of the house has windows with a brick window ledge underneath. I would like to start the flashing at the mortar line under these windows and follow across.

Building regs indicate 75mm flashing above the tiles. so basically a brick and mortar bed. Is there a rule of thumb for the spacing allowed for batons and concrete tile from the top of the wall plate, rafter joint to the underside of the flashing. I am trying to work out where i should position my wall plate to utilise as much height as possible.

roofing1.JPG

Sponsored Links
All you need to do is lay, two tile batons on the ground parallel and sit a tile on top at 90 degrees,I assume that they are Marley modern or similar. Then measure from the ground to the top of the tile and this will give you the right amount of space.you can get extra pitch by cutting a bird mouth on your joist where they sit on the wall plate.Hope this helps

Thanks for the Reply Jimmy. I dont have any baton wood or roof tiles on site. I will pop to BM tomorrow and pick up a length of what i will be using and a few tiles.

Will use your approach and this should get me the measurement I need. Thanks

There are different concrete tiles!

It will be between 40 and 90mm depending on the tile. This is parallel to the rafter, so that's more vertically up the wall.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully the BM will be able to match the House roof. I will get a photo in the morning and post on here.

The side wall has three windows. I was hoping to go one brick under with the flashing. Do i need cavity tray along the full length ot the wall or can I get away with the just open wall areas?

I attach a photo showing the wall in question.

wall.JPG

Last edited:
The question of cavity trays or lack of them is not a yes or no answer, especially when considering fitting them retrospectively. Exposure, wall position, shelter, wall condition, location etc can influence whether a CT would be of any benefit.

Thanks mfarrow, I was thinking of taking one off and taking it to Burtons tomorrow AM.

"should" is that like it "should" be ok ?
BC "should" accept it..

Take your pick

auxiliary verb
1. simple past tense of shall.
2. (used to express condition): Were he to arrive, I should be pleased.
3. must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency): You should not do that.
4. would (used to make a statement less direct or blunt): I should think you would apologize.

www.dictionary.com/browse/should

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back