Wall plate... If this is the wall plate, it's not all on the wall! Problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

Apologies for another question so soon... Having removed the concrete render from the back of our house, I've also removed the soffits which I'll replace after repointing. I don't know much about building, but I presume the wood on top of the wall is the wall plate? On the right hand side, this seems to be as I would expect - firmly on top of the wall, leaving space in front for ventilation, with small pieces of wood to attach the soffits to. But as it goes along the wall, the wall plate gets further and further away. By the time it reaches the left hand side, it is no longer on the wall at all!

Aside from potentially being wrong, the other problem is that I plan to install ventilated soffits. In that area they won't be very effective because the timber pretty much spans the gap the soffit will span, so not much air would get passed.

Bit stuck as to whether I am over worrying, it is totally wrong and needs remedial action, or something in between. Any help would be fantastic.

The first photo shows the full length.
The second shows only half the length, looking in the opposite direction, and starting from where the wall plate/timber starts to move away from the wall top. I've put a green line on to help show the timber edge.
The third is a closer look at the timber off the wall.
And the fourth is the same, but looking from behind).

Please ignore all the plastic bags etc which have just been put in to prevent unwanted visitors.

Many thanks

IMG_20220830_155714259.jpg

IMG_20220830_155900964 Amended.jpg

IMG_20220830_160339240.jpg

IMG_20220830_160354021.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its possible that the roof rafters are spreading.
Expert eyes on site would be needed to give a solid opinion.
More modern wall plates are installed with straps tying them onto the inside walls, and ceiling joists act as horizontal ties: I dont see any joists in your pics?
Your stones appear almost to be drywall, is that how the place was built: as a drywall house? There are plenty of such examples in the Lake District.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back