Wall plate or Hanger in brick - flat roof to existing house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be having a small flatroof to the side of the house (2m x 2m).

Wanted to check if I need to put the Masonry Joist Hangers directly into the existing Brick Wall?

Or if I can put a timber wall plate and then timber joist hangers go into the wall plate similar to attached (I have brickwork instead of Blocks)?

• If so is there specific type of bolt i should use to fix the wall plate to the existing brick?

• Should the timber joist hangers be fixed only to the wall plate? i.e. they don't need to be screwed through the wall plate and into the brickwork?

• What size wall plate will i need? I will be put 4x2 ceiling joists there

Roof build up will be joists + firrings + Ply + 100mm Celotex + OSB3 then most likely EPDM roof.

Existing wall is a cavity wall - external will be brickwork (where the new roof will be attached to), 100mm cavity then thermalite.

Thankss..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 18.55.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 18.55.55.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29,200
Sponsored Links
A 4 x 2 wall plate should be fine.

Bolt to wall, rawlbolts should do. I think the concrete anchor hex bolts are used for loadbearing wall plates by builders as well -not totally sure on that though.

joist hangers are nailed (never screwed) in place. Use the correct 3.75mm x 30mm twist joist hanger nails.

Also there are joist hangers for 45mm 47mm 50mm to suit the varying size of 'regularised' joists.

4 x 2 joists have a span of up to 2000mm so should be fine -prob at 400mm ctrs

A 4 x 2 wall plate should be fine.

Bolt to wall, rawlbolts should do. I think the concrete anchor hex bolts are used for loadbearing wall plates by builders as well -not totally sure on that though.

joist hangers are nailed (never screwed) in place. Use the correct 3.75mm x 30mm twist joist hanger nails.

Also there are joist hangers for 45mm 47mm 50mm to suit the varying size of 'regularised' joists.

4 x 2 joists have a span of up to 2000mm so should be fine -prob at 400mm ctrs

Thanks for the quick reply!

So Raw Bolts would be something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawlbolts-m10-x-115mm-5-pack/87759? (was the first result on google).

Sponsored Links
Yes, although you need longer ones. Im not sure what diameter you need.

They need to stick out from the wall by about 65mm or so ie thickness of wall plate plus enough for washer and nut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back