Wall preparation techniques!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of redecorating my daughters bedroom in my new flat. When i stripped the old wallpaper it came down with no effort at all but has left flaky pieces of old paint all over the walls? The walls are plaster underneath the flaky paint so there was only one layer of wall paper. I am planing to hang wallpaper again but don't think it would be a good idea to wallpaper over the flaky paint. What would be the best way of preparing the walls for wallpapering. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The flaking paint you are refering to is caused by over-thining or no-thining the emulsion onto the plaster.This only happens when stripping paper. Best thing to do is dry scrape oall loose paint and then leave overnight with a window slighlty open. Then the next morning there will be loose paint. Scrape these bits also. Now you have two options her 1/ Get a plasterer in get him/her to use Thislte Bond-It PVA prior to plastering (do not use ordinary PVA). 2/ Size walls, then line all walls and allow to dry for 72 hours, then fill any imperfections caused by previous flaked adges underneath the lining paper that may show through the lining paper, then rub down filler, then seal filler bits, then apply emulsion and follow instructions on tin.

Scrape/wash - scrape/wash - scrape/wash.
Next...size the walls, then apply lining paper horizontally, then.......

paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back