Wall removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all Ive removed a 4” block wall between my kitchen and dining room in a 1960 council house I have recently purchased. The wall was approx 2.2m long. The wall runs parrelel to the joists above it with no joists touching the wall and nothing on top of the wall just a empty void to floorboards above. Upstairs they is a 3” block wall built off floorboards approx 500mm offset from the wall I removed. I had 2 builders both tell me the wall wasn’t load bearing but now have doubts and wonder if the wall was offering support to any other walls laterally, the house is semi detached and back wall is around 6.5 metres in length, some other houses in the street have same wall removed. Any advice appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
The downstairs internal wall will have been providing lateral support to the rear wall. But assuming you are not in an exposed location, and the openings in the wall are not too wide, you shouldn't have any problems.
The fact that the 1st floor joists run onto the wall helps, and the load from the 1st floor rear wall and (presumably) the roof, all add load and help to stabilize the downstairs wall.
Lateral stability is frequently bandied-about by inspectors and SEs when removing walls but more often than not it's irrelevant.

All joists run onto the rear wall on the first floor and the roof we are not exposed and rear wall is approx 6.5 metres in length with patio doors it’s a semi detached property and the house has a solid wall between next door. I wasn’t aware about buttressing and lateral support until I started to read on the net hence my worries now thanks

Sponsored Links
That was the wall in question what I removed it was in line with the doorway ya can see the patch repair from removal of wall

Attachments

• 1E857646-C71D-45B2-A9B1-BEEDB94EEBEB.png
    1E857646-C71D-45B2-A9B1-BEEDB94EEBEB.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 88

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back