Wall Starter Kit

Kevin, I fitted exact one today, if you notice both strips are the same, and each one has one end closer to a slot than the other end.

Take the ends with the slot closest to the end and slot the two together. One of your five bolts goes in that “joined up” and overlapped slot.

then use two bolts for the bottom strip, two bolts for the top strip.

That's how I assumed they would be joined, it just didn't seem right as the bolt hole when together doesn't line up there is a slight overlap, I assume that gets worked out when they are screwed into the blockwork

Sponsored Links
One other question is I am removing a upvc door in order to do this, do I need to lay a new dpc down and do I need to cut the cavity open. There is a return on the light blockwork on the inner skin.

The internal inner skin is being built off self levelling compound, the outer is being built off brickwork. Probably using heavy blocks for the outer and thermalite for the inner.
o_O

Off self leveling? Just self leveling with nothing under it? Is self leveling compound load bearing?

Normally if necessary, the first course of inner blocks would be cut, or the outer course bedded up. You would not build a new wall with staggered joints unless the outer leaf was imperial bricks.

o_O

Off self leveling? Just self leveling with nothing under it? Is self leveling compound load bearing?

Normally if necessary, the first course of inner blocks would be cut, or the outer course bedded up. You would not build a new wall with staggered joints unless the outer leaf was imperial bricks.

The leveller was done by the previous owner presumably over a screeded floor. It's an 80s extension. Here's a few pics to give you an idea

YVC01oK.jpg

i1tXGmP.jpg

W6twToB.jpg

F7yTiTz.jpg

Sponsored Links
If this is a doorway block up, why are you using wall starters?

Block bond or fish tails, not flexible starters

If this is a doorway block up, why are you using wall starters?

Block bond or fish tails, not flexible starters

I had another thread and that was what was advised. It's being rendered after. When you refer to block bond, are you saying tooth out the right and use fish tails to the left on the existing exterior wall?

I had another thread and that was what was advised. It's being rendered after. When you refer to block bond, are you saying tooth out the right and use fish tails to the left on the existing exterior wall?
If it's being rendered then you will certainly get a vertical crack in the render up each side of the door, or you will need to fit mesh in the render across the joint to reinforce it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back