Wall ties angled inwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had inspector round on Friday to check some stuff on my extension. He noticed that some of the wall ties were angled down and inwards from the outer leaf to the inner leaf. He said it might allow damp to cross. I've been around a few sites over the last couple of years and I've seen the way new builds are lashed up.... never known this get picked up.

Has anyone got real world experience of this actually being a problem, or is it just a theoretical problem.

Sponsored Links
Well theoretically it can introduce damp to the inner leaf but they usually have a 'dangly' piece near the centre which 'encourages' and moisture to drop off at that point before reaching the inner wall. Without that drop-off point the chances are increased.

It's an actual problem. And it's an actual standard.

What "gets picked up on site" and what is correct are different. Back in the day when clerks of work ruled the site, they would check ties with a square for 90° horizontal and off the vertical axis too.

Sponsored Links
If snots land on the ties then yes you might get a mysterious damp spot problem.
Where Insulation Batts become damp they could transfer the moisture across any remaining cavity on the ties.
I've seen damp transfer bad on the old solid heavy metal fishtail ties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back