Wall & under the stairs storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to install some drawers under the stairs and in order to do this will need to knock down / open up some of the wall under the stairs. I do not believe this wall is a supporting wall but would appreciate any advice that you could give as to possible risks (if any). The planned hole is indicated by the red outline on photo1.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/masaru_album/photo1.jpg

Also I wish to increase the size of the door opening under the stairs as shown by the red line in photo2.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/masaru_album/photo2.jpg

The wall is about 90mm thick and I currently plan to support[?] the drawer opening with wood beams (any recommendations for wood?) about 70mm thick around the edges and stick plaster board around the beam then plaster/skim over the entire wall with an overall aim to have a flush finish between the wall and the drawer ends. The door support will be as shown in photo2 (just taller) with an architrave finish.

If there is any further information that I can give please tell me and I will post ASAP.

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
I've done similar under my stairs (although I don't have that horizontal wooden beam at door height - don't know how that might affect it).

It's likely to be plasterboard on stud frame but you can confirm by tapping it for a hollow sound. Pull the plasterboard off and build the frame you want - you might be able to re-use the wood that's already there but my guess is 2"x2"would be sufficient for the new frame. You'll want door lining for the new doorway.

Alternatively instead of the drawers make it a less complicated shape by putting in a shallow doorway (matching doors) and put drawers/shelves in the understairs area - you'll be able to cram in a lot more!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back