Wallpaper: Centre seam or Centre Panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't wallpapered since the early 90's but I'm going to hang some wallpaper on the wall that faces you as you go down to the bottom off the stairs.

The wall is 960mm wide. And it has a wall light fitting centrallly, and a light switch towards the left.

Should I put a panel up in the centre and then trim the 2 strips each side? Or just do 2 strips of wallpaper with a centre seam?

What looks best from your experience?

It says it is an unpasted non woven paper, 52.1cm wide.

Thank you.
20220103_102543.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the paper has a big pattern, you would try to get the pattern central of the wall, which may mean seam in the middle, or paper strip in the centre.

However, it may not matter with a small or non-symmetrical pattern.

It can look naff having a seam near a light switch, or a seam near a wall light.
With that in mind, I would be tempted to hang a full width strip of paper to the left, then the cut piece to the right.

Light fittings and switches are a feature, so a seam running through either of them can be noticeable.

It may be worth drawing a plumb line between where the first and second strip meet first, so you can be sure your paper is dead straight. This will mean the full width strip will need some trimming to the extreme left (as there's always something out of true).

Thank you. Thats great advice!

If I had done a centre strip, the left would have been right at the edge of the light switch and I had wondered if it would look like an accident.

It is a fake tile pattern with no discernable main tile, so I will follow your advice and do the left side first, with trimming to plumb and with the switch and light to negotiate, then an easy home run on the second strip hopefully.

I have bought a new sharp Olaf 9mm knife in readiness. Dib dib dib

The roll also says Paste to Wall which is a new concept to me!

Thanks again. You can't beat the voice of experience.

Sponsored Links
Oh! I was going to buy a Screwfix small sachet of paste-to-th-wall powder. £3.99

What's the difference in me mixing a bucket of the powder and buying it ready made? I only need a jug full!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back