Wallpaper cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my hall papered 6 months ago and now crack lines have appeared in the wallpaper, the wallpaper is a heavy vinyl, anyone know why this has happened ? Or a way to fix it without stripping the paper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have seen that happen when the filler on the wall has "blown". Based on my professional experience... it is often the result of poor quality fillers, or insufficient sealing of those fillers.

Sorry. probably not what you want to hear.

At a push, you could use a thin snap off blade knife to lift the seams and the brush in some paste and see if that works.

Thanks for your help everyone, this is a photo of one of the many cracks lines that have appeared, if it helps at all

Attachments

• 20220809_223948-min-min-1.jpg
    20220809_223948-min-min-1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Are they cracks (i.e. splits) , or places were the wallpaper has lifted. for me it's hard to tell from the photo

The wallpaper hasn't split or lifted, it just looks it's a crack in the wall that's showing through the paper but it's a heavy vinyl wallpaper

ohh.. you mean the diagonal crack running up to the right from the light switch. Your plaster has cracked.

Have you recently had old plaster re-skimmed?

Unfortunately there is little that you can do other than stripping the paper off and dealing with the cracks, sorry.

That wall I did have re-skimmed, but other walls have shown cracks and haven't been re-skimmed, going back to previous comments in the forum about filler has blown, I do remember filling a crack where the photo shows so I bet that's the cause, no other room in the house has done this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back