Walls Walls Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Im new to this forum and indeed DIY, i have recently moved into a new place and decorating the rooms one by one. i have chosen the smallest room to decorate first, it was wallpapered and had a dado rail. I have stripped the wallpaper off and taken the dado rail off, however the rail was putup with no naisl and has taken some of the plaster off, I also plan to remove the skirting boards and put in a new door frame and hang a new door.

My concern is the walls, I want super smooth finished walls, im not keen on wallpapering. Therefore my dilema is this, do the walls need to be re-plastered with new baord or the holes filled and the walls reskimmed?

Also do i remove the skirting boards and place new ones up before or after the walls are completed.

Also does the door frame need to be put in before the walls are done.

Would appreciate any help and advice

Many Thanks

Darren

Sponsored Links
Is your walls gyproc or plaster ? Anyway take off skirtings first and put in your new door frame but dont apply new skirtings and facings until you get a plasterer to plaster your walls whilst the skirtings and facings are off (better job). Then apply your new skirtings and facings after your walls are newly plastered. NB prob only need your walls patched then re-skimmed.

Hi Third Eye, thanks for the reply, the walls are plaster, what would you reccomend I use to fill the holes or should I leave the filling and skimming to a pro?

Would a picture help so you can get a better idea?

Thanks again, I have 5 dyas off work so really want to get the ball rolling, thanks again

A picture would help. Though getting a good plasterer in would be alot easier for you but that takes away the DIY mentality, hehe. Though send pic and i will recomend a method that u can take skimming the walls yourself, but the finished article is all down to your ability (not being cheeky)

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
Is your walls gyproc or plaster ? Anyway take off skirtings first and put in your new door frame but dont apply new skirtings and facings until you get a plasterer to plaster your walls whilst the skirtings and facings are off (better job). Then apply your new skirtings and facings after your walls are newly plastered. NB prob only need your walls patched then re-skimmed.

Oh too right...nothing worse than plaster all over the line oof the skirting...and horrible burn marks from the plaster where the plasterer couldnt be bothered to clean it off properly..and then theres the trowel marks and skids in the last six inches before the skirting..

Dirty messy practice.. :evil:

As you want very good walls then you should take Thirdeyes advice and go for a plasterer...

Here are the pics of the holes in the plaster guys, one is quite deep, my fault for doing a little rooting around, can these be filled and skimmed over? out of interest whast the black stuff?

pennelldj ...you come from the same part of the world as me..the black stuff look like coal dust..they used to use it in the mortar...or it could be the blocks they used for the wall..I hope..I really hope it isnt bitumen where someone has tanked to wall because of a previous problem with dampness

It doesnt look to bad I reckon you could get away with a couple of coats of easi-fil over those bits

Give it a good stiff brushing first and then a 50/50 coat of PVA just to help the filler stick.

Or as Third eye says..get a plasterer in and leave them to sort it out by skimming (probably about 150 quid)

Its a shame you dont like papering...once filled you could line the walls and then paint them

As you are unable to use plastering pro procedures i will give u this route to take...............Bang on PVA as "Zampa" suggested in previous post but give two coats PVA (leaving 2 hours between coats). Then buy some Blue Hawk One Coat Plaster and mix to a thick mixture and apply at PVA areas ONLY (make sure One Coat Plater is level with surrounding wall). Let dry for 24 or more to make sure the new plaster is dry. Once dry apply a thin PVA mix above new one coat plaster at PVA 1/5 WATER and let dry for one hour. Then rub down all your walls and then apply Polycell Smoothover http://www.coopersdirect.co.uk/shop...m=1430&lastshop=shop-Decorating-Sundries.php? then rub down. Then emulsion over using the emulsion instructions guidelines. However this will method wont be as a good as finish as a plasterer would leave !

Thanks for the advice guys, I would definately prefer to leave it with a professional plasterer, would you suggest I fill the holes myself then let him skim the walls? or let him fill the holes too?

I had one guy who said that the walls need to be chipped back and new plasterboard to be put up, you think he was just looking for more work? said it would cost about £400

Any advice greatly appraciated

Without being there its hard to say...but why new plasterboard?...the walls look like they are block or mortar..

Sounds a bit steep to me..he could board a room in a day and plaster it in another..

Sound like he was overpricing..tradespeople do that sometimes..they dont really want it..so overprice it and then if they get it its a bonus.

ask him how long it will take...but put it in such a away that it sounds like you dont want to be put out for too long as opposed to making it sound like how much is he going to earn out of it...they weigh that up against the cost of the materials plasterboard is abour 4 quid a sheet..plaster..not sure but 3? bags should be enough to skim the average room

Yeah i was thinking that he didnt want to do it, ive decided to patch the repairs with your suggestions then get a plasterer in to skim it all and give it a good finish, ill post pics of the efforts :)

Later ill be posting another topic regarding the gaps I have between the pvc window frame and walls, I have bought some expanding foam to fill it but want some advice first, so ill be posting a few pics, would appreciate some advice on that little task too

Thanks for the advice

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back