Wandering desktop icons!

Sponsored Links
LOL! Only coffee I'm afraid!

Every time I boot up my laptop I find some have moved to another part of the screen, which makes finding them difficult.

Are they just doing this to irritate me? Can they be made to stay put?

They should stay put by default. Can you provide more info as to how they move? Which O/S?

Sponsored Links
It's just plain old Windows XP. I have all my work-related sites stacked up vertically on the left of the screen and all my play-related sites stacked up on the right. However on rebooting some of the "play" site icons move across fairly randomly and end up cosying up with those of the left or even displacing some of them.

Isn't there a way of locking them in place?

I've tried to replicate your problem, but all my icons stay where I put them.

Right click on the desktop and select the Arrange Icons By option. What things do you have ticked?

I had that problem with Win98, lots of desktop icons, pop into safe mode - on return icons all over the place ..

I found and used the following little freeby - only for Save and Restore Icon positions for each (or every) screen resolution So cannot comment on it's other attributes.. It worked a treat.

'Iconoid' a Windows desktop icon manager. Easy to use.

http://www.sillysot.com/

;)

Still going - this is worth a bump.

Jolly useful for anyone with a laptop who switches between using an external monitor, the laptop screen and projectors, all of which tend to need different resolutions.

As well as absolute icon positions it will keep relative positions, which is better.

Does other fun things like hide all desktop icons if the cursor isn't there, makes the active window transparent so you can see what's underneath, change icon label text colours....

Works with XP, Vista and 7.

Haven't tried it in conjunction with any multiple desktop managers such as Dexpot.

Mine did that too!

I have Win 7 / 64, but it's settled down now and the icons are where I left them.

Sponsored Links
Back