Want a bit of advice on which appliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of sorting out a design for getting my kitchen done and I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

Amongst other things, I want a tumble drier and a cooker hood and I know ideally they'd be on an outside wall so that they could be vented.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit short on outside wall! There's only one and it's not a long wall - I might manage the tumble drier on that wall but I'd have to move the washing machine and possibly dishwasher - as long as the pipes could be extended.

Cooker hood wise, there's no way I can put that on an outside wall and even if I tried to run pipework along the edge of the ceiling, I don't know how it could go outside as there is a long, narrow window right in the corner of said wall.

Anyway, what I'm trying to ask is............(at last, you say)

Are recirculating cooker hoods and condensing tumble driers any good? Are they a waste of money? Should I be trying every which way to get these appliances vented outside?

Thanks for your patience in reading my waffle.

Alison

Sponsored Links
recirculating cooker hoods are almost entirely useless. You would do better to fit a powerful extractor fan. this will suck steam and cooking smells out of the kitchen and prevent them drifting round the house.

condensor driers are more expensive to buy and run, less reliable and emit varying amounts of steam into the room.

Be aware that a tumble-drier hose can be run under the units if you like.

And ducts from extractor hoods can be run above wall units.

I kinda thought recirculating cooker hoods were carp. The tumble drier I reckon we can sort out no problem but the hood I'm not sure about. I know the ducting can be run along the tops of the cupboards but it's getting it outside. As I said, there's a window right in the corner of the wall and the top part of the window is an extractor fan (which is about as much use as opening a window!). Hopefully whoever fits the kitchen will be able to work round it somehow.

Now I just gotta find somebody reputable to fit the kitchen.............. :confused:

Sponsored Links
a powerful extractor is better than opening a window as it creates negative pressure in the kitchen so draws air from the rest of the house thus preventing steam and smells from drifting around the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back