want an rcd on the sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a split load board, 1/2 RCD protected, 1/2 not.

on the RCD I have the ring final (just the one!!) and the shower,
on the non-rcd the lighting up & down and an ex immersion heater circuit.

the immersion heater circuit has been converted into a 16A radial, but left on the non-rcd side. since this is upstairs, at the time it was done it was considered not to need RCD protection ( was done 3 yrs ago)
the only room fed by this is now being used by me as an office/work room, now considering I do sound equipment repairs, I would like an RCD in the chain.

I have a couple of options, but not sure of the best one.
1. change a double socket for an RCD one, definatly not notifiable as far as I know.
2. change the MCB for and RCBO, has the added advantage if I trip it it wont take out the rest of the house, not sure how this stands notification-wise.
3. move the mcb to the rcd side of the board, gives me protection, but if it trips takes out the house. again not sure on notification.

Sponsored Links
If this circuit only supplies one double socket in the room then I would go down the RCD socket route... do you really want to be going downstairs to reset an RCBO if it trips???

it serves 3x doubles, only one will be used for suspect equipment, the others just a TV and stereo and cordless phone.

I would install a 16A or 20A RCBO on that circuit.

Any work would need testing so you would run RCD tests even if you were to install an RCD socket. You can't assume they work even when they are new, ya know!

Sponsored Links
What sort of work on sound equipment? Are you looking to do testing with the power on? Could be worth your while investing in an isolation transformer setup.

its mainly amp repairs, servicing etc so yes, I frequently have to do tests with the power on, and in the past have tripped the RCD, at the moment I do testing in the living room (makes the wife not happy though)

I had thought about an isolation transformer, not looked into it much yet though.

Personally I'd just either use a plug in RCD or fit a RCD socket at the location you intend to use for testing.

An isolation transformer with floating output can be usefull as it means you have to touch both "live" and "neutral" (I put those in quotes because with a floating output transformer neither side is really neutral) to get a nasty shock. On the other hand it renders RCDs useless so if you do manage to get a shock there will be nothing to disconnect it.

Whatever you do be very carefull any time you have live mains exposed and avoid doing it as much as possible.

I try to do as much as I can dead, but there are some things you just can measure with no power.

with an isolation transformer for a work bench, would there not be an RCD fitted on the output side of the transformer?

No, as an isolation transformer has no reference to earth, so it is not possible for an earth fault to occour, and therefor an RCD offers no protection, and it would not operate anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back