Want to get into the trade...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a tricky one as I am undecided in what to get into yet!

First a quick background of me. As a kid I loved how things worked and would dismantle pretty much everything! I was great with my hands and did all the DIY round the house when i was a kid. I'd say I tackle pretty much anything with the right guidance and its all a big learning curve for me. I had the opportunity to take an apprenticeship when i was 16 to become a sparky and I cant for the life of me think why i never took it up, instead i went the full Higher education route and got myself a degree and now pretty comfortable with a cushty job but BORING, I'm 26 years old now and it just feels wrong... My hands were meant to fix things not type crap.

Anyways enough of the life story! I am seriously considering jacking it all in and going into the trade, I think its edging electrics, but I wouldn't mind building either. I'm a bit at a loose end at the moment and I don't know where to begin! I dont mind a drop in wages at least it will be something I enjoy. However going self certified I understand is where the mullah is? :LOL:

Any advice most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you're thinking about becoming a spark then make sure you've got a healthy bank balance. To do domestic wiring you need a minimum of 2 courses:
17th edition IEE regs (C&G2382)
Part P domestic installers course

My local training centre (http://www.premtrain.co.uk/courses.html) offers 2382 @ £375 and part P @ £770. This does NOT include VAT.
Shop around & you may find them cheaper in your area. There are 4 week intensive courses that cost upwards of a couple of grand but they tend to be frowned upon by a lot of electricians.

[/code]

I am seriously considering jacking it all in and going into the trade, I think its edging electrics, but I wouldn't mind building either. I'm a bit at a loose end at the moment and I don't know where to begin!
Any advice most appreciated.

you realy need to try and learn your new trade and get established along side your present job or have enough money aside to pay for your courses and support you for around 2 or 3 years then you will be close to self sufficiant with your new lower living standards

dont forget half your income goes in costs like pension van running costs wages for holidays estimates and traveling time

you also need to factor in the local supply of off the cards competition

and of course how many more people are doing exactly what your doing and turning a possible shortage in your area to a glut in the long term

also if theres a down turn in the housing market and all the trades presently building houses start to turn to the domestic market for work thats more competition

good luck with whatever route you take :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
OK thanks for that.

Well say i was looking into the electrician route, since I have little or no experience in the sense of working in houses apart from my own (The most i have done is add some extra sockets and fit some sensor lights) In that sense I am a relative novice. So would that 2382 course be too much to begin with for me? Where would be a good start?

I don't mind paying the couple of grand or so in the next year or two if that means i get the qualifications needed and then start training on the job?

There are loads of courses for electrical in my local college and they are well suited evening classes too, but I'm baffled by all the various courses that I may need to start off?

Cheers

Back