Want to replace this plug, what shall i order?

i notice with power tool batteries [especially ryobi] generic will look exactly the same as in colour shape design, fairly indistinguishable from the genuine item except on the battery the word ryobi will be replaced with lithium or some other word
also the description can be almost exactly the same except the word "for" is thrown in whenever the word ryobi is mentioned so the "for ryobi" almost gives the impression are are dealing with a comparable product
random example

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Is this the same as "cheap, unreliable, untested, uncertified, unsafe, short lived carp"?
No. It is same as cheap, long lived carp with less than 5% failure rate. The factory would have done all the testing to make sure people continue to buy their products. Therefore, it make no sense for them to do things to burn people's house down. This is basic economics.

You really have to admire the ingenuity of the Chinese, they even have their own meaningless version of the European CE mark we are supposed to look out for as a standard of safety.

Screenshot_20230523-085252-243.png

Sponsored Links
No. It is same as cheap, long lived carp with less than 5% failure rate. The factory would have done all the testing to make sure people continue to buy their products. Therefore, it make no sense for them to do things to burn people's house down. This is basic economics.
There are any number of teardowns showing that is not true, "5A" rated products with copper coated steel interconnecting wires that make 4A fuses out of the interconnecting wires etc

There are any number of teardowns showing that is not true, "5A" rated products with copper coated steel interconnecting wires that make 4A fuses out of the interconnecting wires etc
I had a tear down for an AC/DC adaptor. You might have seen the thread. Nobody said anything unusual about it.

I believe there is a difference between direct from china and non-direct from china stuff. I had no problem with the former. I suspect the latter were tampered for profit. Not long ago, I had an amazon china multimeter that was crap. A direct from china meter was fine. It was properly fused with sand-filled 10A cartridge.

Last edited:
Close to 0 failures. Where it failed, it was cheap

It could be that so far you have been lucky, the device(s) that failed did not create consequential damage.

Simply buy another one and bin the scrap. That increases the profits made by the counterfeiters and maintains the risk of damage to your property.

It could be that so far you have been lucky, the device(s) that failed did not create consequential damage.

Simply buy another one and bin the scrap. That increases the profits made by the counterfeiters and maintains the risk of damage to your property.
I have been extremely lucky, or luck is not needed? My first buy was in 2018 for a GPU I am still using. Wasn't too happy because I got import taxed.

Purchasing from a reputable UK retailer gives you more hope of getting a safe product.

There is no shortage of dangerous goods on Aliba, Amazon and Ebay.
Which shop would you recommend going to?

This is what cheap no name stuff gets you:
Using your logic, here's an expensive named brand crashing. Does that mean we should all avoid those? Products fail, named or not. Taking a blanket stance is not useful. From my personal experience, most of the products I buy and use don't failed, no matter the price or name. This would be the norm because a manufacturer producing bad products will go bankrupt pretty quick.

a manufacturer producing bad products will go bankrupt pretty quick.

If it is in a foreign country, trading through middlemen under a made-up name, and the buyers have no idea who the manufacturer is, why do you think they will go bankrupt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back