War Horse

Sponsored Links
Got it on DVD yesterday.
What waste of time, over hyped. Boring.

Each to their own I suppose.

Got it on DVD yesterday.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk Pirate copy, BTW at the start of the film and towards the end did the words "Property of Dreamworks" appear at the top and "Do Not Duplicate"
appear at the bottom of the screen. ? ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Friend works there, all above board.
Viewed in their own cinema. Also get to sit in Eon Productions private cinema sometimes too.

Good assumption though.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk Pirate copy, BTW at the start of the film and towards the end did the words "Property of Dreamworks" appear at the top and "Do Not Duplicate"
appear at the bottom of the screen. ? ;) ;)

Surprisingly no,it was available so I am told before it got to screen.

I saw it last week, would describe as ok but nothing special, liked Warrior a bit more.

Just as an aside, there's some concern at the moment as to the treatment of horses by the MoD.

Charity questions army horse deaths

The Ministry of Defence has been urged to show "greater transparency" over how it treats animals in the armed forces after it was disclosed some army animals are put down simply because of their "temperament".

As Steven Spielberg's smash-hit movie War Horse takes the UK by storm, figures showed that 28 army horses were put down in 2011 - 16 more than in 2009. The statistics prompted animal charity HorseWorld to call on the MoD to reassure members of the public who are concerned that ex-army horses may have been put down unnecessarily.

The figures show that while most suffered physical health problems, four horses were destroyed last year due to their "temperament".

As the blockbuster - which shows one horse's amazing journey from a Devon farm to the battlefields in France - raises awareness of the use of horses by the army, there are increasing concerns about why military animals are put down, the charity said.

Of the 28 horses that were euthanased in 2011, ten were put down due to lameness, seven for colic, three for injury, three for neurological reasons, one for malignancy and four due to their temperament. In 2009 12 horses were euthanased - eight due to lameness, one due to injury and three due to their temperament.

Staff at the Bristol-based charity have written to the MoD voicing their concerns that an animal's temperament might not be reason enough to destroy it.

HorseWorld equine welfare director Jerry Watkins said: "Alternatives to euthanasia always need to be properly considered when an animal reaches the end of its working life. We have no reason to believe the MoD is not following correct principles and practices, but the public will want to be assured that in each case every alternative was considered, and will be in future."

Among the animals that HorseWorld has looked after in the past decade is former army horse Mountjoy, who was retired to HorseWorld in 2003. During his military career Mountjoy was the charger of Lieutenant Colonel Crispin Lockhart -now Commanding Officer of the Household Cavalry - when he was a squadron leader.

Mountjoy died in 2008 after five years at the centre, including a period where he was rehomed with a horse loaner.

HorseWorld is currently responsible for over 140 horses, ponies and donkeys at its Whitchurch site and for a further 300 who have been successfully rehomed by people who care for them on a loan basis.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/charity-questions-army-horse-deaths-091911641.html

Just as an aside, there's some concern at the moment as to the treatment of horses by the MoD.

[quote12 horses were euthanased - -091911641.html
Euthanised - they shoot horses, don`t they - ergo several million People were Euthanised in the First World War :rolleyes:

I found the film quite disappointing .... it was well filmed as you would expect a Spielberg film to be .... but I found it lacking .... it was rather over sentimentalized and a bit weak in parts.
Maybe worth watching once...but it won't be one of my absolute 'favourites'.

well i watched it yesterday,thought it was a nice film.very good effects .
typical story,you knew what was going to happen before it did.
glad ive seen it,not on my all time favorite list.but worth a watch.

I saw the stage version in London in October - fantastic! The horse 'puppets' were amazing and with 3/4 people working them, you don't even notice these 'helpers' after a while. There was the biggest standing ovation that I'd ever seen at the end and I think we all shared more than a few tears. The puppeteers got the loudest applause of all and really deserved it.The applause went on for a very long time and everyone was upstanding. Speilberg saw the stage version and then went on to make the film - so he was obviously well impressed.

I am looking forward to the film and hope I am not disappointed.

Sponsored Links
Back