War Is Brewing.

Sponsored Links
Russia has used chemical and arguably nuclear weapons on U.K. without any remorse. They would not hesitate to attack the U.K. in the same way as a gang will smack the cr@p out of the little guy to deter the bigger guys.

Putin wants to rebuild the USSR. The argument that Russians make up large parts of the population could be applied to the U.K. giving India, Poland etc rights to annex part of the U.K.

Sponsored Links
The problem with war/politics is that conflict tends to be instigated by old gits who believe they have less to lose and have already gained a lot...

Time to turn over to the younger generation who have everything to lose!

Russia has used chemical and arguably nuclear weapons on U.K. without any remorse. They would not hesitate to attack the U.K. in the same way as a gang will smack the cr@p out of the little guy to deter the bigger guys.

Putin wants to rebuild the USSR. The argument that Russians make up large parts of the population could be applied to the U.K. giving India, Poland etc rights to annex part of the U.K.
Not a very good analogy.
A better comparison would be Britain and Ireland.

Read justin passing's links, you might learn something.
I did.

I've spent a little time in Ukraine and Russia - weeks - before and after the breakup. Hard to get into their mindset, but they still remind you they got invaded by Germany and they think there are still massive western armies in Germany. Those articles suggest Putin wants to be seen as a great protector of the motherland by bolstering his satellites. - fits.

Ah, the Sudetenland excuse.
He'll invade.
Little article here https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/why-ukraine-matters-to-russia-so-much-52281
and do click the link at the bottom - not an accustomed source, but
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/3/how-real-is-the-threat-of-a-russian-invasion-of-ukraine

Maybe get separatists to invite him...

Read justin passing's links, you might learn something.

It still smacks of invading a country for the wishes of the minority of the population, as JohnD pointed out.
In the link provided by Justin Passing, a reference to the number of Russian citizens outside of Russia is quoted by Putin as:
“As for the Russian people, it became a genuine tragedy. Tens of millions of our fellow citizens and countrymen found themselves beyond the fringes of Russian territory,” the Russian president said in 2005,
Justin Passing's link.​
That might be true for all Russian citizens, but it was the wishes of the people at the time, and in Ukraine there are only about 8,000,000 Russian citizens, about 17% of Ukraine population.
Even if it were a majority of Russians in Ukraine that would still be a poor excuse to invade against the government in power. And you can't just annexe a part of a country as you wish. That is illegal.

John's reference to Hitler's invasion of Sudetenland occurred in 1938. Let us hope and pray that another gross mistake is not made.
But sadly, illegal appropriation of land and and a nation cannot be tolerated

Filly thinks these are grounds to invade.He'd have us all speaking Russian.

I'd call it a very stupid analogy.
In 2011 there were 2.3% of Indian descent in UK population.
And 1% of UK population speak Polish.

A little too complex until you define exactly the terms of reference, e.g. Is NI included in UK (I appreciate you said Britain), Are we talking Irish (South of the border) or all Irish in UK population, Are we talking Irish descent or Irish by birth, etc.
You would need to define your figures, percentages very explicitly to remove any discrepancy, obfuscation or confusion.
This might give you a better understanding.

https://www-spectator-co-uk.cdn.amp...the-conflict-in-ukraine-compare-it-to-ireland

Putin wants to rebuild the USSR

According mostly to the USA's feelings. It's now mostly talk of invasions in much smaller areas for strategic reasons. In other words what Putin might do. No one will have a clue really until he does what ever he does in the end. Both sides are posturing - end of really. So what so far - Putin is displaying his military power. War games go on all over the place at times.

Actually I am surprised anybody gets sucked in to such a simplistic piece of propaganda. He will want allies just as the west does. Actually if asked if he wanted the entire USSR back I suspect he would laugh his head off. Access to their markets yes just as the west wants. That just leaves strategic aspects. Russia now is nothing remotely like USSR communism or haven't you noticed. Even China and several others aren't. All in to making money these day to increase the wealth of their country.

Actually Putin does this and that, wants etc reminds me of Boris controlling everything. Also local feelings about both in their areas.

Putin wants to rebuild the USSR

According mostly to the USA's feelings. It's now mostly talk of invasions in much smaller areas for strategic reasons. In other words what Putin might do. No one will have a clue really until he does what ever he does in the end. Both sides are posturing - end of really. So what so far - Putin is displaying his military power. War games go on all over the place at times.

Actually I am surprised anybody gets sucked in to such a simplistic piece of propaganda. He will want allies just as the west does. Actually if asked if he wanted the entire USSR back I suspect he would laugh his head off. Access to their markets yes just as the west wants. That just leaves strategic aspects. Russia now is nothing remotely like USSR communism or haven't you noticed. Even China and several others aren't. All in to making money these day to increase the wealth of their country.

Actually Putin does this and that, wants etc reminds me of Boris controlling everything. Also local feelings about both in their areas.

Can this thread return to a discussion about Russia, Ukraine, NATO and wider Eastern European politics in general?

It's an on-going event and what with the talks happening between the US and Russia later, it'd be good to have more commentary on that rather than the usual tit-for-tat, ping pong off-topic arguing.

Sponsored Links
Back