Wardrobe Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like to put a small wardrobe heater of about 15 watts in my wardrobe, but only have lighting in there, question, would it be safe to wire it into the lighting circuit and if so should I go through the switch or the bulb socket. It would be left on most of the time. Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
A 15W load wouldn't be a problem for a 5A lighting radial circuit. You need to identify the loop, it could be at the lighting rose but could be in the switch or in a junction box. Maybe use a 2A socket so you can isolate the heater.

Sponsored Links
you need ventilation to remove damp assuming that what your trying to cure

A wardrobe against an outside wall will often suffer from mildew, especially if the wall is solid or lathe-and-plaster. It is often shoes in the bottom of the wardrobe that suffer most. Walls behind wardrobes also suffer from mildew. This is because the wardrobe is insulating the outside wall and allowing it to drop below dew point. A small heater in the wardrobe might be all that is needed to keep it all above dew point. The heater needs to be at the bottom of the wardrobe to be most effective.

On the other hand, ventilation without heat cannot stop condensation (consider how quickly empty houses get damp). You need heat AND ventilation to stay dry.

Bearing in mind those 2A round pin plugs/ sockets are not fused, are they allowed on a 5A circuit?

Yes, that is why they were invented.

PS, don't bother with the heater. Lock the wife's boyfriend in the wardrobe, that will keep everything warm, for a while... :evil:

Looks like CPC no longer stock them (note that the buy button for the 2A model is greyed out). MK still list them but actually finding a source may be difficult (I suspect some wholesalers could order them in for you but I suspect you'd have to buy a whole carton of 10 and I doubt it would come cheap).

Also note that they take BS646 fuses so if you want to change the fuse value and/or have spare fuses make sure you order them too (in practice 20mm fuses will fit holders designed for BS646 fuses but you should really use the correct fuses).

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...ons=false&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=1561737

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back