Warm Air boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a house in Aberdeenshire, which I rent out.

Due to the fact I am a landlord I obviously need a landlord certificate each year to show that my Gas appliances have been checked correct and are safe.

British Gas have just told me that the warm air boiler (1980's house !!!) is sound but it's flue is faulty. I said to the British Gas representitive "No problem, how much to sort that out ??" After many phonecalls to try and track down the engineer, she eventually got back to me saying that he has quoted me £800 to repair !!!!

FOR A FLUE !!!??!!!! AAAAAARRRGH.

Anyone know where the hell he gets this from. British Gas, in my experience always do this. So I am going to get a second opinion.

Does anyone know any decent companies that could help me obtain/fit a flue for a warm air boiler. (Sorry, can't remember the boiler name/number- going up next weekend to see if there is anything i can sort out)

Thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
To be correct, Warm Air is not a boiler, here we usually refer to them as heaters, in the USA, they are known as furnaces.

What is wrong with the flue?
Does it need relining, if so the charge sounds about right.

You could try here
http://www.johnsonandstarleyltd.co.uk/

Good point. It doesn't have anything to boil I suppose !!!!

Anyway. They said the flu may be leaking !!!, so if it needs re-lined I suppose I'll have to get that done. £800 just sounded a bit steep !!!!

Thanks for the advice.

Brian

I had a similar story where what was in fact required was that the Return Air path to the heater needed to be put into a Duct. This applies if the unit is in a Compartment. This is something which was OK when it was installed but the regs have changed following "accidents".

It can be fiddly and a pain to find the right parts. The BG quote for that was high, a few hundred anyway.

By the time I'd tracked down where to get the bits (none expensive) the landlord decided he wanted a new radiator system instead.

FInd out exactly what needs doing. If it's only "not to current standard" it can stay that way.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I have had some VERY bad experiences from British Gas, who ALWAYS quote redicoulous prices. I then get a second opinion, and find that a simple, non-expensive repair is all that was required.

Hopefully the local CORGI chap will get back to me today with the exact problem.

Thanks again

Brian

Based on his list of deficiencies on your Vokera, I suggest you try another local chap if its the same one. I am suspicious of his statement that the pcb AND the gas valve are both defective. In any case you really need someone with a Warm Air CORGI registration Unit.

Many of the 80s warm air units were installed with an asbestos cement flue which causes more potential problems. Johnson & Starley are the main manufacturers for warm air and you could ask them for the name of their local service agent.

I note you say the BG man says "the flue MAY be faulty". Well it MAY be and it may NOT be faulty. Get a warm air expert to give a second opinion.

Tony Glazier

brianmcritchie said:
British Gas have just told me that the warm air boiler (1980's house !!!) is sound but it's flue is faulty.

1980 is 25 years old, thats hardly the first flush of youth for a heating appliance

brianmcritchie said:
I said to the British Gas representitive "No problem, how much to sort that out ??" After many phonecalls to try and track down the engineer, she eventually got back to me saying that he has quoted me £800 to repair !!!!

FOR A FLUE !!!??!!!! AAAAAARRRGH.

Anyone know where the hell he gets this from. British Gas, in my experience always do this. So I am going to get a second opinion.

Tell us what its for and we can try and tell you where he gets it from. Why are you still with BG Brian?

for a 1980 is 25 years old, thats hardly the first flush of youth heating appliance

Warm air heaters do last a long time. I know of one 45 years old, and still working satisfactorily.

sandwell said:
for a 1980 is 25 years old, thats hardly the first flush of youth heating appliance

Warm air heaters do last a long time. I know of one 45 years old, and still working satisfactorily.

Sure same as any boiler, but I have also seen cracked heat exchangers with only 5 years on the clock....plus I hate the things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back