Warm roof construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Instead of a vapour barrier over the decking is it ok to use foiled backed PIR instead and tape the joins?

Cheers
S

Sponsored Links
not entirely sure how you would tape the joints before laying the insulation. The VCL is to prevent vapour entering the insulation layer

The vapour check goes on the back of the plasterboard, not above the deck

Usually it would go on the warm side of insulation that's more vapour permeable than it's insulating. And ideally no air movement between it and the insulation, but that's for other reasons.

Sponsored Links
The vapour check goes on the back of the plasterboard, not above the deck
that's a bit old school now, the preferred place with modern VCLs is over the deck on a flatty.
Would still put VCL under plasterboard on a cold unvented, breather membrane pitched roof with insulation at loft level.

does everything it's supposed to which is keeping vapour from penetrating the insulation layer, the issues of protecting at ceiling level nowadays are the amount of penetrations of the ceiling in modern construction.

Initially building control wanted a VCL at ceiling level. The builder said this was impractical due to spot lights being fitted etc. They then agreed to use foiled PIR to act as a vapour barrier. The building control guy has been round twice to confirm this after I raised my concerns. All the literature I've read is to have a continuous VCL after boarding and before the insulation. I have 1200mm of insulation. 200mm runs vertically and then 1000mm runs horizontally. As far as I'm concerned warm air can still escape through the gaps between the insulation. I have seen examples where expanding foam is used to 1) glue the PIR to the boarding and 2) fills any gaps in the joints. The roof is on now and Time will tell I guess.

Cheers
S

yep your reading is correct and your BCO isn't really fully up to speed, don't quite understand what you're saying about the arrangement of your insulation, but yes your concerns are correct, warm air could in deed escape between your insulation, but the reality is you will almost certainly be fine.
I hope you insulated, in your rafter end voids too, letting cold air in there could cause condensation to form in your ceiling void

Hi
Yes, I've talked to the builder about putting insulation at the ends and he's doing that.

Cheers
S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back