Warmth From Neighbours?

Hi Andy. The only way I can tell you the temperature is by the central heating display which is currently 22.8. Don't know if this helps?

Sponsored Links
Mine says 31.

Sorry Christopher, I didn't mean offence if this is a serious issue for you.

Have you considered just knocking and asking? Seems the easiest way. Keep a respectable distance back and wear a mask, and just chat?

You'll get better results. We can only guess.

I still am unstuck about how heat can transfer if nothing is hot.

Are they avid bakers? Maybe their oven is on all the time cooking bread or ready meals?

What aspect is the "hot side"? Is it south facing?

Sponsored Links
So far Chris has the coolest house, I'm off to Chris's. Hopefully I will have a good night's sleep.

Andy

Yes. Okay. The weather is a major factor at the moment. I don't suppose its too impotatnt but would like to know how on earth we are getting this heat transfer? I do indeed intend to speak with my neighbours again, but I thought that someone may have come across this, what I consider, very strange phenomenon before. Will post more info when I know more. Thanks guys and you're all welcome to come to mine for a beer if you wish. Lol

Yes. Okay. The weather is a major factor at the moment. I don't suppose its too impotatnt but would like to know how on earth we are getting this heat transfer? I do indeed intend to speak with my neighbours again, but I thought that someone may have come across this, what I consider, very strange phenomenon before. Will post more info when I know more. Thanks guys and you're all welcome to come to mine for a beer if you wish. Lol
The first thing is to work out IF you are getting heat transfer from the neighbours.

So far it sounds like the warmest part of your house is the party wall, but nothing youve found is warm to the touch?

Have you eliminated other possible causes, french doors, glazing, sunlight angle etc?

You could borrow, hire or buy a thermal camera, that'd let you see for certain if there is heat coming through the walls.

Look at the advantages. All things being equal, you could save a bob or two on heating bills.
And, no, I'm not joking.

are you leaving your windows shut or opening them ??
if you room is say 25 degrees and the outside in the shade is perhaps 24 degrees it can be as much as say 40 degrees in the sun so you can get cooked just by airflow from outside

26 inside my house this morning after windows and loft hatch were open all night.

Was 30 when I went to bed.

At the moment we have our windows and doors open together with ceiling fans on due to the ongoing nice weather. One other point, which I inadvertently forgot to mention, is that normally, when the windows and doors are shut, there is a distinct smell with the extra heat. A smell normally associated with central heating radiators being in use. If that makes any sense?

Buy yourself a cheap IR thermometer. You can just point it at a surface and measure the temperature. Not as quick and obvious as an IR camera, but a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back