Warmth From Neighbours?

Mines 25 with all windows and bifolds opens in sunny Hertfordshire.

We could turn this thread into 'what temperature is your house today'.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
23-24 here in redhill surrey at near midnight dead still air

Right everyone. Sorry I haven't responded in a while but have been investigating more but not really getting anywhere. I have spoken with my immediate neigbours and they tell me they haven't had their central heating on for several months and have no idea whatsoever where the source of the heat could be coming from. It hasn't been too hot over the past couple of weeks but the feeling of heat being generated in our living room is apparent. So much so that we had visitors a couple of days ago and they commented upon this even though we didn't mention it beforehand to them.

Now this may be a strange thought! As far as I am aware these houses are built over a disused coal mine from way back when. I understand that fires sometimes continually burn in disused mine shafts so was wondering if perhaps this is happening and maybe the heat is being generated and transmitted into our house? I'm really 'clutching at straws' here but I suppose it could be a possibility?

You'd have smoke pouring through your home if that was the case.

If your walls and floors are not hot, and no sign of heat coming through, then it must just be that your house feels warm. As already said, it has been hot recently.

Are you sure there's no unlagged hot water pipes running under the lounge where it feels warm? I can't imagine this would make a noticeable difference through.

As I said I am 'clutching at straws' now! I understand what you're saying but this warmth is noticeable even during cooler / colder months. I had the floorboards up a few weeks ago to do some electrical wiring work and took the opportunity to inspect further. Nothing! I was expecting to find some gaps between our party wall. But no! The only pipes underneath are our own central heating pipes, which are no where in the immediate vicinity, and of course won't be on until November / December. As I'm typing this we can now feel the heat wafting around. Our thermostat is reading 19.5 at the moment so the central heating won't be kicking in. ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back