Washer/Dryer/Cooker clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the freestanding appliances mentioned be plugged into sockets hidden behind them, so the only visible means of switching them on or off is from the machines own switch. The only way to access the sockets they are plugged into would be by physically pulling the machines out - is this allowed? In the cooker's case it is a gas cooker and only uses power for ignition and oven light.

Sponsored Links
It would be far better to install a fused connection unit above counter top level, with a flex outlet behind the appliance.

Softus said:
It would be far better to install a fused connection unit above counter top level, with a flex outlet behind the appliance.

Yes that's true - but are there any regs that say it must be so? After all, the 13 amp fuse in its plug offers protection.

My favourite method is to have an unfused 20A DP switch (labelled) above the worksurface, feeding an unswitched 13A socket behind the appliance. Then you can readily isolate it; but you can still easily unplug it for maintenance, cleaning or replacement with a new appliance.

And there is only one fuse per appliance!

Sponsored Links
There are several problems here:

True, there are no regs. But in the building regs, it is ok to fit a socket outlet behind an appliance as long as the appliance is pushed under. If the appliance is built in, it should be connected to a socket or FCU that is readilty accessible (RA) when the appliance is in place, or supplied from a socket outlet controlled by a RA DP switch or switched FCU.

Page 57 btw.

To my mind there are two hitches with this: who wants a 13A FCU above and a 13A plugtop below?

If you have a 13A FCU above and F/O below, some engineers dislike this set-up.

My personal favourite here is a switched labelled FCU above the 'top, feeding a 15A socket. This way, the appliance is easily unplugged, and there is only one 13A fuse in circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back