Washer Dryer Tripped Circuit and now not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Washer Dryer this morning wasnt working. So....

in the kitchen there is a fuse box with switches and fuses for each kitchen appliance. I replaced the 13A fuse for the washing machine and the RDC circuit blew. I changed the fuse again and circuit blew.

I looked under the sink and opened the fitting where the washing machine is connected. Opened it up and found that the live had melted the fitting (it's not like a plug socket but i dont know the right word for it so put a pic in my album) . Fitting is 20A if that's useful.

As there is a dishwasher in the kitchen I took the fitting off it and used it for the washing machine. I turned on the power to the flat and the RCD didn't switch off but the waching machine has no power now?!

I was thinking my options are:
1. buy a new washing machine
2. test the washing machine by fitting a plug and plugging it into an extension cable

Hope this makes sense and any help really appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the washing machine has had it.

Would start researching new ones.

You could put a plug on it and see, just to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Washing machines can be repaired of course. Why buy a new one?
That is, of course, true - but in practice I suppose that the wisdom of such an approach would be appreciably influenced by the age and value of the machine - if it's a relatively cheap one, it could easily cost 25% of the cost of a replacement to even ascertain whether an economically-sensible repair is possible.

Kind Regards, John

Before you give up on the washer, I would stick a plug on it and power it up with a 13A lead and see what happens.

Before you give up on the washer, I would stick a plug on it and power it up with a 13A lead and see what happens.

i stuck a plug on it and now the washing machine is washing. so i suppose that there is a problem with the circuit back to the mcb somewhere? if so is there anyway i could check this?

thanks for help!!

I expect the problem was in the flex outlet. The thing that has burnt out.

Looks like the brown and green wires shorted together

I expect the problem was in the flex outlet. The thing that has burnt out.

Looks like the brown and green wires shorted together

Yes exactly. I replaced this outlet with the one from the dishwasher, cleaned up the cables but the washing machine didnt work....

Oh I see. I thought the dishwasher was close and you used the dishwasher outlet. But I now understand you borrowed its faceplate.

Maybe you need to inspect the rear of switches in the cupboard and see if there is damage.

Buzz out the switch and fuse holder if you can or swap for another.

Or maybe the brown is more burnt out than you think.

Did you replace the fuse when you tried it with the dishwasher plate?

Hi Andy. Yes I stuck another 13A fuse in. I also took the plate of the fuse box in the kitchen and tried to pop the switches to switch the washing machine over with the dishwasher but there was so much wiring in there it seemed daunting and at that point i didnt know whether it was the washing machine itself that had packed up. I guess i'll have to reopen the fuse box and try borrowing the dishwasher switch though.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back