washing machine/cold water/pipes banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we are first time home owners and purchased a home where the previous resident had passed away. We purchased the house with no washer or dryer and purchased a new washer (got a used dryer from a friend).
The problem we have is with the washer, we installed stainless hoses (not rubber or plastic) for both hot and cold but for some reason when the washer uses cold water we can hear pipes banging under the living room which is a good 15 feet away at least. If I go look at the washer I can see/feel the hose pulsing. I believe its not as bad if we do a cold/cold wash but when there is hot and cold water involved in the wash it gets louder/worse sounding.
It only happens with the cold water side and only with the washing machine. The dishwasher or any other appliance does not cause this problem to happen. Since we cannot speak with the previous resident we are not sure if this problem was here previously or if the washer is broken or something.
Sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
When you say, 'stainless hoses', are they rigid pipes?
A washing machine must have flexible hoses to allow for vibration as it runs through the various programme cycles. As the machine is running through its cycles it can be filling and emptying at various stages. This may be the cause of your 'knocking'.

na conny they are braided washing machine hoses

like big tap flexis

come to think of it OP check the bore of the flexis
been caught like that with a dishwasher

i would be looking at pipework and clips

plumbers over here seem to be allergic to clips :LOL:

Thanks for the replies, what does this mean though:
"come to think of it OP check the bore of the flexis
been caught like that with a dishwasher "

You are right that they are braided, I got them as a set I believe at home depot, one is colored red and one blue.

We ran another load last night on cold/cold and I noticed there is only 1 bang when the water starts and then its silent under the floor until the water shuts off and then there is another bang.
But when we do hot/cold wash it was continous, so does that mean the mechanism or solenoid or whatever in the washer is broken?

Sponsored Links
"come to think of it OP check the bore of the flexis
been caught like that with a dishwasher "

i fitted a dishwasher with a 1/4"" hose :oops:

the bang is the water valves closing the pipes are prob just hanging under the floor in the crawl space

when the valves close they will be jumping about ;)

So if the OP secures the pipes under the crawl space with a sufficient number of clips it should eliminate/reduce the noise.

Is that what you are suggesting Kev?

bang on the money conny

pipe clips and plumbers that use them are like rocking oss poo here :rolleyes:

and the flamin sparks are no better :LOL:

Seems like a worldwide phenom... fenom...pehmon...
trend! :LOL:

A little bit of care and attention to the 'out of sight' workings can make a huge difference to your call-back tally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back