Washing machine energy usage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a Neff washing machine.

Actually decided to read the manual for once... and this sheet fell out regarding energy/water usage.

Looking at the attachment, the first line is for cotton 20°C, energy consumption is stated as 0.26kWh. Length of programme is 2.75 hours.

Does this indicate that it’s .26kWh x 2.75 hours?

I. E. .715kWh total?

Tia

9EACADF2-1CE6-4674-BF3D-EAE1B63AA495.jpeg

Sponsored Links
i worked out that a full load 60 degrees cold fill and tumble dry was about 2.5kw or 30p
washing around 900w at 12p per kw =11p and drying about 1.6kw or 19p
the only part off the washing cycle that uses high amounts is the say 10 mins off heating perhaps 3-5p worth the rest off the time its around the 6 to 180w mark

Last edited:
No. You are confusing kW (power) with kWh (energy, i.e power x time). Note that 1kWh = 1kW for 1 hour.
Sorry to be a thicket, but if the figure is .26kwh does that mean 260 watts per hour?

I failed at physics:eek:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be a thicket, but if the figure is .26kwh does that mean 260 watts per hour?

I failed at physics:eek:
Watt, not watt per hour. Watt and kW are already units of power. So kW x hour (kWh) is a unit of energy. 0.26kWh is 260 watt for 1 hour (or 520 watt for 30 mins, etc)

Not intentionally I’m not, but consumption is .26kwh and the programme is 2.75 hours long.

so what is the the total energy used for this programme?

and can I see your workings out please? :D

Not intentionally I’m not, but consumption is .26kwh and the programme is 2.75 hours long.

so what is the the total energy used for this programme?

and can I see your workings out please? :D

you cant work out the average without your own plug in meter then you will average it over say 20 washes over the whole year as every wash and every cycle will vary certain things will be constant from load to load but only per hour in use like the programmer'water inlet solenoid and water pump
heating will vary by load' water input temperature material absorbtion rate
the load on the motor will vary by load and speed required
but in general the higher the spin speed the greater the saving in tumble drying

It’s not about the money, I was just curious, but can’t seem to get an answer (I understand) about a total amount of energy used for any programme.

Does the one that uses more power over less time better or worse than the original one stated.

I should have paid more attention at school :cautious::D

my washer uses negligible power during churn and spin.

The only significant cost is from the heater.

60C Hot cotton wash 2.5kW for about 12 minutes

0.5kWh

costs me about 8p at current tariff

cooler washes use less heat, as do more modern low-water content washers. It looks like mine uses around 10 litres.

Your 20C "cotton wash" is almost cold.

I don't entirely understand your table but it looks like it also shows energy usage with hot water supply, which is much less and can be worthwhile if the machine has a short pipe run to the hot cylinder heated by a gas boiler or solar.

tumble drier use much more electricity

washing lines use none.

It’s not about the money, I was just curious, but can’t seem to get an answer (I understand) about a total amount of energy used for any programme.

Does the one that uses more power over less time better or worse than the original one stated.

I should have paid more attention at school :cautious::D
my previous answer answers most points
but in general the shorter the cooler the wash the cheaper it will be
in general if it clean on a say 75min 60% wash then try the next one down [temperature and/or time wise ]
everything gets a 40% 59 min wash with asda cheap and cheerful powder with 20-50% more powder than recomended in a soft water area

Last edited:
No disrespect to anyone, but I can’t get my head around the original point. :(

if the energy consumption is listed as .26kWh is that the total For the programme or is that per hour of the programme?

Intake on board all the comments regarding heating water etc and tumble drying etc.

It is only a washer.

Thanks again. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back