Washing machine remote from a drain

The only restriction would be the non-return valve - it would be much less restriction using a vented trap.
Just for your information, a vented trap isn't a restriction at all, it's basically an air break with a 40mm diameter water trap to avoid smells. The 22mm pipe will be a massive restriction, and the non return valve will be the show stopper.
If you've 1 bar pressure you'll get excellent flow on 22mm pipe though.

Sponsored Links
I'm not going to debate it in great detail, you'll have to make your own mind up in the end. But personally I'd go for function over form. I'd be more likely to drop the ceiling 4 inches than try to run a waste through a 22mm pipe behind plasterboard. Good luck(y)
Are you saying up and over?

Just for your information, a vented trap isn't a restriction at all, it's basically an air break with a 40mm diameter water trap to avoid smells. The 22mm pipe will be a massive restriction, and the non return valve will be the show stopper.
If you've 1 bar pressure you'll get excellent flow on 22mm pipe though.
Ideally the trap with an air gap is the better option. It may just be possible to run the 22mm pipe into the waste assembly of the sink. The incline of the 22mm pipe would be shallower though.

Install a macerator near the washing machine and then run the waste from that in 21.5mm?
Make sure it's one man enough to handle the flow rate of a washing machine on a drain cycle.

Sponsored Links
Install a macerator near the washing machine and then run the waste from that in 21.5mm?
Make sure it's one man enough to handle the flow rate of a washing machine on a drain cycle.
There is no space for a macerator. I get what you are driving at. The macerator pump would be man enough.

Yep. The washing machine pump would definitely not. Even if it worked, the flow would be so slow that you'd end up getting an accumulation of lint and hair in the sump which would cause no end of issues.

See I'd say if you can get overflow pipe to the drain, then I'd look at fitting a saniflow for the washer to pump in to and let the saniflow take it to a drain. After all its designed for that sort of thing.... ?

Yep. The washing machine pump would definitely not. Even if it worked, the flow would be so slow that you'd end up getting an accumulation of lint and hair in the sump which would cause no end of issues.
The limiting factor is the bore of the pipe, no more than 22mm. But it can be doubled up. It can be larger bore at each end and two parallel 22mm pipes behind the plasterboard. There would be far less stress on the washing machine pump then.

I have to say that it's gratifying to see some sensible and helpful advice here.

I must confess that I put in my four penn'orth because I shall be encountering a similar situation. Or, rather, I was. We are about to have a new kitchen installed and had decided to keep the sink, washing machine and dishwasher all adjacent to each other and both the stop tap and the drain.

The comments in this thread have confirmed my decision. Thanks.

The limiting factor is the bore of the pipe, no more than 22mm. But it can be doubled up. It can be larger bore at each end and two parallel 22mm pipes behind the plasterboard. There would be far less stress on the washing machine pump then.
The bore won't be 22 it'll be less than 20 as 22 is the external diameter. That's a quarter of the bore area of 40mm waste pipe (yes, waste is done on internal diameter, don't ask!)
Physics tells you that even if you used 4no 22mm pipes the resistance would be far higher than one 40mm waste, as you have double the surface area resisting the flow and most of the flow is closer to the pipe walls.

Yes, I am aware of the area of the diameters. But two 22mm paralleled up must make matters far easier for the washing machine pump. It does not have to pump the water out fast, just get the water out, with less stress to the washing machine pump.

I have to say that it's gratifying to see some sensible and helpful advice here.

I must confess that I put in my four penn'orth because I shall be encountering a similar situation. Or, rather, I was. We are about to have a new kitchen installed and had decided to keep the sink, washing machine and dishwasher all adjacent to each other and both the stop tap and the drain.

The comments in this thread have confirmed my decision. Thanks.
That is the best arrangement of course. But in this situation it makes matters easier for the new kitchen design having the washing machine at the other end of the kitchen. The kitchen is a strange shape.

Last edited:

It may gratifying for the OP to hear what they want to hear, but in time after they have taken the time to fit pipe and fitted the appliance, then issues that may occur, do occur. That gratification can be stuck up ones rusty bullet hole with a red hot poker.

It is a foolish method, and consideration of redesigning the whole thing should be considered.

Last edited:
Why do you want to try to macerate water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back