Washing machine struggling to empty waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I live in a second floor flat and am in the process of installing a new kitchen, which involves repositioning the washing machine further from the McAlpine P Trap with spigot appliance connections (the sink has a horizontal waste pipe running out the side of the flat into a vertical waste downpipe). I've had to switch the water inlet hose for a 2.5m hose which works fine, and add on a waste pipe extender to reach the waste, however it's struggling to pump out.

The issue I have is that I've ran the waste pipe down under the units and then back up to the connection on the P trap and its struggling to get rid of the water. I can hear the pump in the machine pushing, can see very little water is coming out, and the time on the washing machine is hardly moving down so it's obviously adding more time on as its not able to get rid of the water.

My question is, am I doing something wrong by putting the waste on the floor? If so, do I need to instead run it directly through the corner unit at the same height as where it exits the machine? I was told by someone that the machine (AEG) should have no problems pumping it out if it runs along the floor, but it really doesn't appear to be the case.

Also note I haven't used the U-bend connector that comes with the waste pipe extended as my thinking is that this would only be needed if I was going over a vertical stand pipe.

Thanks in advance for any problem solving tips! Diagram below from paint for reference. The trap I'm using is this and I've taken the stopper out so water can come through the applicance connection: https://www.toolstation.com/mcalpin...5cd5Eu1C-HhXuyQDUihoCOEgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1682591107047.png

Sponsored Links
Did the "someone" know the length of the hose had been extended? I would run the hose as high as possible and clip it well to prevent the hose from sagging anywhere along its length.

The machine shouldn't really have an issue pushing that distance tbh, if it just a normal length drain hose extension.

Do a test, just in case the machine pump is blocked/restricted, take the current hose out without the extension and run it into a bucket, fill the machine then do a drain and see if it pumps out ok.

The waste water pumps are usually at the bottom of the drum, if none of the above suggestions help perhaps you could reposition the waste pipe internally so that it comes out of the bottom of the machine at the back or side instead of the top.

Sponsored Links
Take the appliance waste hose off the traps spigot ,and see if machine empties now when pumping out ( direct it into a large bucket). If it now empties, remove the spigot from trap and look for obstruction.

Problem is mainly that last lift up to the sink. What you've also given yourself is a massive U bend that will stay full all the time, stink and create massive resistance to the pump.
Much better to have the pipe at a gradual downhill from the machine to the drain.
As a test, try dropping the pipe out from under the sink into a bowl at floor level, see if improves things. If it does then lifting the pipe run will improve matters for sure

As above, I would get the drain hose as high as you can where it leaves the machine and try and get a gradual fall (slope) on it across to the sink trap. These machines are designed to pump up and out, it may well be struggling to push the water along a horizontal section then back up again at the end. Let gravity do the work for you.

You must must must

Have the waste hose from the machine going right up to the underside of the worktop immediately after it leaves the machine, and then slope or loop downwards towards the drain.

Otherwise the dirty waste water will run back into the machine.

You would do better to run a waste pipe behind the cabinets, rather than underneath and then going up again.

You need the highest point as close to the machine outlet as possible. This is where the pump maximum pressure will be at it's optimal. The run then needs to slope down gradually to the outlet connection into the waste pipe.
Do NOT let the fall go below the final outlet level as it will then need to be pumped back up to the outlet position. The pressure from the pump at this position will be at its lowest and probably unable to raise the water in the pipe by very much. It will also lead to a large volume of skanky water remaining in the pipework, potentially causing nasty smells and blockages over time.
Basically, once high - keep high until final discharge down a sloping run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back