Washing Machine vibrating sink unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just fitting a new kitchen and have just tried using the washing machine for the first time, which was a bit of a disaster. When the spin started the kitchen sink and drainer started to vibrate and jump like crazy, rattling everything on it around and even loosening the taps.

I have the sink part of the sink over a unit, and the drainer part of it over the washing machine. The washer is free standing, and has about 2 cm either side and 2 cm at the top below the drainer. It wasn't pysically touching at all.

However, it was slightly uneven on the floor, which I will try to rectify.

Question is, why did it do this so bad and how can I stop it?

1. Can a washing machine be installed directly underneath a metal sink and drainer?
2. Where is the vibration being transferred from - up from the floor or just through the small air gaps at the top and side?
3. Could it be just because it is out of level or on an uneven floor?
4. I also have very long hoses as its all I could get hold of - 3M - could these be vibrating against the hot and cold pipes and feeding to the taps/sink that way?

Its an old washer that has never caused this before? I'm confused how it can transmit such a vibration/shaking when it is free standing.

THanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The machine could require levelling.

Is it mounted in a wooden floor? If so you can screw a piece of wood to the floor into the joists to make a more solid base.

What make of machine is it? A lot of washing machines are quite lightweight. You may think of it as heavy but most arent.

As a comparison my machine is very heavy and never moves even when spinning at 1600 RPM and is on a wooden floor under a sink drainer. The sink is a Carron Phoenix granite sink however. I did have a stainless sink but found it prone to flexing and the taps never felt rigid. Plus the sink also vibrated when the rock steady machine beneath went into fast spin.

The machine I have weighs 110 kilograms or 17.3 stone.

Thanks. Its on a concrete floor with Quarry tiles on it, and it isn't 100% level.

Maybe that is all it is, I was just amazed the sink unit vibrated so much when there was no physical contact. Am a bit worried it is always going to vibrate the sink unit with there being nothing between the washer and the flimsy drainer.

Anyone know if there is anything I can put the washer on to level it/stop vibrations, or will the feet be adjustable?

feet could be adjustable to level the machine & rubber pads of any description should dampen the vibration.

Sponsored Links
Thanks All,
I've took the machine out and levelled it of a bit and it seems better, however in doing so the rubber on the feet has torn away, leaving it resting on the metal foot under the rubber.

I'm therefore going to order some new feet for it to hopefully rectify the problem. Trouble is neither Indesit or some of the spares places seem 100% sure about which feet I require. One says there are different feet for the front and back, the other says they are all the same.

Could anyone please tell me if the following will be OK for an Indesit WDG1295W (approx 7 years old) machine. (I was told so by their customer services team, but she didn't sound too certain, and when I search myself I get the two front and back types)

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=479541&brand=mer027096&model=&part=

Thanks for your help

Have you checked that the transit bolts have been removed from the back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back