washing machine vibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
floorplan.png
My client recently moved into a ground floor flat (semi detached Victorian building).

The vibration from her AEG integrated washing machine vibration is annoying the basement flat.

Looking at the supporting walls below, it looks like her kitchen occupies about 4 metres worth of a 6 metre span. The washing machine is about 3.5m from the party wall and supported by two or three of the flooring joists (about 4m along their 6m span).

Thus far she has tried using a 10mm anti-vibration pad with a 10mm porcelain tile on top of it. Then she tried the pad on top of the tile. She has had an engineer from AEG confirm that there is no problem with the machine. I assume that he checked to make sure that it is level, as it is fully integrated it is difficult to tell.

Other than recommending a thicker pad, the only suggestion that I am able to offer is that she swaps the positions of the dishwasher and the washing machine. The washing machine would still be the same distance along the joist span but it would now only be 600mm form the party wall. Given that the joists run parallel to the wall, would this make the slightest bit of difference?

Is a thicker pad likely to make any difference?

Would a sheet of iron bolted to the floor under the kitchen units make much difference ( I dread to think how much that would weigh...

You can definitely feel the floor bounce when it is spinning, the machine doesn't look like it is vibrating much but downstairs it sounds like a muffled helicopter (kinda like the swooping noises made by the rotor blades). The muffled noise may be the result of the basement flat having a suspended ceiling.

The floor finish is oak (non-floating), I do not know what the sub floor is (I guess that it is either the original floor boards or chipboard).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Assumption is never a good idea, check it's level, even slightly out it can cause vibration.

I have copied this from a Miele washing manual.

Please note: The machine must be level and securely positioned. To avoid vibrations during spinning, the machine should not be installed on soft floor coverings. If installing on a wooden joist floor: We recommend a plywood base (at least 59x52x3 cm). The base should span several joists and be bolted to the joists and not only to the floorboards. Check for the presence of pipes and cables first. If possible, install the machine in a corner as this is usually the most stable part of the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back