wasp nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips on destroying/removing 2 large active wasp nest in a loft, wasps appear very agitated at the moment :confused:

Sponsored Links
try your council first as they may have recommended contractors (possibly even subsidised?)

I would certainly pay someone to do it though - a swarm of angry wasps is not what you want heading for you in a confined space like a loft :eek:

We have contacted the council, there advise was to employ a pest control contractor as our locale council will charge the same rate if not more, they also advised that we are not entitled to any financial assistance being a private property

One pest control contractor quoted over the phon approximately £40 per nest with no guaranty the wasps will be fully eliminated or not return, they also advised they will not remove the actual nest

So we are not prepared to pay £80 for someone to spay some kind of pesticide when i can spay the buggers myself
the question would be what is the best method and quickest and how would i obtain the required pesticide or whatever is recommended

Sponsored Links
We paid £40 for one under our decking - they won't remove the nest when they are active especially! Clearly they should be giving a discount for two nest in the same location so phone a few more contractors - there are literally hundreds in the yellow pages

The guy who sprayed ours had a very long hose spray in his equipment and when he sprayed ours (which was outside not in a loft) he still retreated round the corner to a safe distance as the wasps understandably get quite annoyed......

Good luck

i paid 40 to have one dealt with. you wont get the pesticide they use as suppliers wont sell it to you i doubt. To my mind i would happily pay £80 to get two nests dealt with. I got stung a couple of times by them when i was trying to find the nest. Id much rather pay someone who knows what theyre doing to deal with them.

haven't got £80 spare, any donation will be gratefully recived, on the other hand I will sacrifice a couple of stings for £80 :cry:

I've dealt with loads using ant powder. The trick is to wait until just before dark when they've all come home after a hard days stinging and spray liberally around the gaps where they go in and out. You need to observe where these are before starting.
They're usually all gone in a couple of days, but might need a 2nd application if a particularly large nest.
Most nests I've found in lofts are down in the eaves so there hasn't been any need to climb on roofs.
Alternatively wait a couple more weeks and they'll all have died off anyway - just the odd queen left looking for somewhere to overwinter.

I'll 2nd the ant powder.

It contains exactly the same stuff the pro's use.

It only costs a couple of quid though.

wrap up well, put a net over your head, get in there & spray it all over.

There is even wasp nest killer spray at Wilkinsons for under £3.
(I have an unused tin under the sink because I didnt need it - the ant powder did the trick.)

As a wasp crawls through it, it takes it on down into the nest & infects all the others.

I had a nest in my chimney, when I sprayed we kept hearing them dropping onto the back of the gas fire. so may be an idea to spread a tarp underneath to collect them :D

I used a can of wasp nest spray, coats the nest with foam from a distance of 6-7 feet so you dont need to get close, kept a can of wasp/fly spray handy in order to deal with any strays that came close.

Once all activity has stopped, put a bin liner around the nest, get it outside and throw it on a good hot fire as there will still be plenty of living wasps inside. Don't ask me how I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back