Waste drain testing

Hello there,

Thanks for coming back to me.

The man whole does come up in the main part of the extension.

To be honest, at the moment, the problem I'm having is the damn bungs blowing out before it even registers anything on the gauge.

J

Sponsored Links
Yes, the screw-up drain plugs can be a little awkward to work with. Wetting them may help a good seal. There are also inflatable bags you can use (I think Monument make one kind)
The pressure involved on an air test is only 50mm water guage or so- enough to make the water in a w.c. pan stand up but not enough to blow the trap seal. All waste appliances are connected and traps full.
You could use childrens' party balloons inflated in the relevant pipe sections to seal of against that sort of pressure - I once used an inflated condom to seal a 75mm SVP in a successful stack test. You push the test (manometer) hose through the w.c. trap in this case as well as a plain hose through which you blow gently. This is much more pleasant if no-one has used the w.c. since installation.
Test between the pipe section just before it enters the manhole (1 bag or bung pushed up it ) and the top of the vent pipe (2nd bag/bung) if there is one, removing AAV (Durgo) if applicable.

Okay, that sort of pressure seems reasonable.

22400.jpg

Before the gauge reads anything one of the bungs pops off but I'm running the air for a fair bit before that happens.

At the moment, there is nothing installed, re toilet etc. I wanted to get a confirmed test for my own piece of mind before I moved forward.

Thanks

J

I think the whole thing's a bit silly really.

If the internal chamber starts to whiff, you will know it is leaking air. If so, seal it with grease.

No whiff = sound lid.

Sponsored Links
22400.jpg

I do trust this is not a wind-up.

A good bit of kit for testing hot, cold or central heating pipework where pressures of 1-4 bar are to be expected.

4 bar =120 ft water gauge in old money. A soil stack air test requires 2".

A manometer (U guage) is what you need.

BCO came to see me yesterday morning, the BCO wants to see an air test.. now got to source the proper gauge as I want a positive test for my own peice of mind before I move forward

Guys, can anyone make a recommendation on where to buy one of these guages and what a non-crap one looks like lol.

Please excuse ignorance :)

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back