Waste drain testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm trying to get an air pressure test together for BC on a 110mm drain system. I have a number of 110mm bungs & an internal inspection chamber.

In the lid to the internal inspection chamber, is leaking a little air, tested with some washing up liquid & the bungs aren't brilliant either.

Is manhole grease the recommended stuff to get a tight fitting?

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why have they asked for a test, do you have some sort of whacky layout?

I've never known for a test to be necessary on domestic work

Hello Woody,

Thanks for coming back to me.

This is for an extension I've been building.

110mm Soil pipe :)

James

Hello guys,

I'm trying to get an air pressure test together for BC on a 110mm drain system. I have a number of 110mm bungs & an internal inspection chamber.

In the lid to the internal inspection chamber, is leaking a little air, tested with some washing up liquid & the bungs aren't brilliant either.

Is manhole grease the recommended stuff to get a tight fitting?

Thanks in advance

James
Manhole grease is a bit Old Skool - you`ll probably be better with a silicon grease on the ( I`m guessing) rubber fin seals on the internal ic . The inflatable bags are better than drain plugs for sealing pipes ;)

The only test we EVER did was one job down in London many moons ago and i have been around domestic extensions for 31 years.

This was a wet test whereby you plugged the holes and filled the system.

Internal screw down double seal lids are air tight in their own right. And it rhymes.

Surely BC always do a final drain test?

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject :(

Best Regards

James

So BC haven`t actually said - "we will come and want to see a test on x part of your drains " :confused: Nose , are they air tight in their own right even when they`re full of s***e .

Hello guys,

Thanks for the responses.

BC said, they would see a test at the end. This was after one of their first visits.

I spoke to the BCO yesterday, he said if below ground it would usually be a water test, and if above, air.

This was via email and the BCO couldn't really remember the application.

J

Underground test fair enough but air test above ground is a bit above and beyond.
If you want to push it and risk upsetting your BCO, ask him under what legislation he is using for his request for YOU to do a drain test.

Air test above ground used to be standard but BCO's aren't what they were.
Soils and drains are easier to install leak-free with modern materials than with the clay/cast iron of many years ago.
Unless your manhole is internal to the building (and therefore specified as "double-sealed") the fact that it leaks air under test matters not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back