Water Butt - free of moggies ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read a few weeks ago in a Gardening Mag, which I can't find now. That to help keep your Water Butt free of moggies floating on the water surface, which is how they breathe.

Is put some ??? in the water. Which will make them sink and not survive.

But is it 'Washing up liquid' or 'Olive Oil' or something similar.

Any tips ;)

Sponsored Links
Murdering bastard Why would you wanna get a poor little pussy all wet!

I meant pussy in the Mrs. Slocombe (cat) sense, no need to censor that!

Assuming the OP meant mozzies - or their larvae, then washing up liquid will do the trick.
It breaks down the surface tension of the water so they can't float on it.

In theory, I think a layer of any kind of vegetable oil (no point using expensive olive oil) floating on the surface would prevent the little blighters breathing - but I'd go with the washing up liquid.

Sponsored Links
Thxs.

Yes it was the 'Mozzies' I mean't because I've got a lid and I don't think the Moggies would get in. :oops:

But how much would you use not effecting the plants. A few drops or what.??

it ios oil, not washing up liquid, since the kater will foam up, just a couple of drops is supposed to be fine

I've found the Mag.

It says to put enough Vegetable Oil in the Butt to cover the water surface and coat the sides of the butt as the water level drops. This stops the Mozzies from clinging to the surface film and then sink to the bottom.

But how much is 'enough', half-a-cup or more/less ??????

In fact, there IS a danger of the local moggie (ie cat) falling in a water butt. If you leave off the lid, then the poor blighter jumps up onto it, it'll more than likely fall in and, if the water level is down, won't be able to get out, and a nasty death awaits. This is't simply theory - I've seen the result, so please leave the lid on. Even if you hate cats, you don't want to be pulling one out after its been there a few days. Trust me.

Now you've given me Ideas about the ones next door, they are always doing the Poo-ing in my front Garden.

I'll put a Butt near the front for it and others to sun bathe and cool down abit.?? :rolleyes: :LOL:

Put a couple of goldfish in the but they will eat the larvae
Just make sure to put a small ball of chicken meah wire inside by the tap so that they don't come out

Thxs

I've also read that putting charcol in the base of the Butt keeps its fresh from Algae if the water is stored in hot weather for some time. ;)

As we are getting on to smells. I have an oak water butt outside the back door and the water pongs terribly. Every time I use it, the family start moaning that the whole house smells of bad eggs and sewage!

Any solutions? :?:

are leaves falling into it and rotting?

Has it got a lid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back