Water coming in through chimney - any suggestions??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had some problems with water coming in through ceiling in room adjoining next door property. Part of chimney had been removed previously so it now sits above part of the room.

Had new roof, chimney had the works done to it, even had some insulation boards put on chimney in loft to prevent condensation. Seemingly no problems for at least a year until today, having had the room re plastered only last week, first day of heavy rain and patch appears on ceiling.

Next door did have some work to re point and fix their chimney last week. Could this have caused problem??

Attachments

• 20160301_173110.jpg
    20160301_173110.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 548
Sponsored Links
Can you get into your loft space to see any water signs there? Weird coincidence, next door having had some work 'done'!
John :)

Hi John, I can but the chimney is covered in insulation boards. However before they were installed, the corner of the chimney would be wet.

Next door is housing association, they were sorting their side of chimney, like re pointing.

Time to inspect your side of the chimney, I'm afraid.....in particular the lead flashing, pointing and the cement flaunching on the very top.
You may have to remove your insulation around the stack in the loft, if the fault isn't obvious.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Do you think it could be condensation? What i didn't mention was the installation of the insulation boards coincided with the problem being fixed initially. We had a builder remove some of the boards around two weeks ago before putting them back on. Perhaps he hasn't put them on properly?

It's possibly a 2 part problem; if I've understood you properly, the chimney breast has been removed in that room, but is it a loft conversion, or is the chimney breast still in in loft above the room.

If the water has come through so strongly after a downpour, it suggests a fairly open route for it to come through, so have the builders disturbed the flashing, or uncapped the chimney.

And if it's a loft conversion, the chimney breast has been removed, does the chimney above tge roofline have a dpc.

Thanks John, I tend to agree. The only reason I suspected otherwise was that the insulation boards seemed to stop the problem previously. Unless the condensation is collecting and then dripping down?

Doggit - it's not a loft conversion but you can walk around in the 'attic' area. The is a dpc on the chimney yes. Roofers put new roof, looked at flashing, re pointed etc couple years ago

I think I will have to get another roofer out to come take a look by the sounds of it. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back