Water Coming Up BathWaste into Bath

Oh wow, hadn't noticed that on my phone screen. That's really very special indeed. What a bodge. No clips on the waste pipe wither, so it'll sag over time

That's my nephew for you. As I also said, it is a works in progress.

Sponsored Links
We think water must be sitting in the bath waste and not draining out properly.

Water will be sitting in the U bend of the bath. That water has to be there to stop smells from the sewer coming out of the bath plug hole.

The bath waste is bodged into the soil pipe exactly where the pressure wave from the flushing toilet hits the walls of the stack pipe.

The pressure wave caused by the flushing of the toilet is pushing air and water into the bath waste pipe and this is forcing air past the water in the U bend.

OP: try and get the waste 'working properly' and not focus everything on aesthetics! It really should be function over form ;)

Water will be sitting in the U bend of the bath. That water has to be there to stop smells from the sewer coming out of the bath plug hole.

The pressure wave caused by the flushing of the toilet is pushing air and water into the bath waste pipe and this is forcing air past the water in the U bend.

Thank you for explaining. It really helps to understand.

It is just the minutest amount of water that appears round the plug hole - I was panicking thinking it could be water from the toilet.

Sponsored Links
I was panicking thinking it could be water from the toilet

Well, it could be if there is a blockage in the future! Even so, the bubbles of air you are seeing at the bath drain are sewer gases so, it won't be long before your bathroom whiffs!

Well, it could be if there is a blockage in the future! Even so, the bubbles of air you are seeing at the bath drain are sewer gases so, it won't be long before your bathroom whiffs!

Got ya!! I will make sure nephew sorts this.

George, unfortunately you need that designed properly, possibly by someone that has experience of waste and soil design. Not trying to be critical but if your nephew is a qualified plumber then he needs to brush up on his waste & soil design principals.

If the vertical soil pipe blocks for any reason, the bath is getting it, simples. The bath waste pipe connection to the stack is too close to the toilet outfall and you could be either getting pull or push on the bath trap. The AAV should be taking care of that if it's pull but given it has a shallow bath trap that may be the path of least resistance.

Whichever it is, the bath waste positioning on the stack isn't correct, the shallow bath trap and flexi pipe for the bath is not suitable for what you need and will always cause problems so needs replaced and the fall on the bath waste pipe to the main stack needs increasing. The Automatic Air Valve (big valve on top of vertical stack) which specifically needs to be an external type, will need inspected every year to ensure it works correctly that's why it is better to vent the main stack to the air, as others have mentioned.

George, unfortunately you need that designed properly, possibly by someone that has experience of waste and soil design. Not trying to be critical but if your nephew is a qualified plumber then he needs to brush up on his waste & soil design principals.

If the vertical soil pipe blocks for any reason, the bath is getting it, simples. The bath waste pipe connection to the stack is too close to the toilet outfall and you could be either getting pull or push on the bath trap. The AAV should be taking care of that if it's pull but given it has a shallow bath trap that may be the path of least resistance.

Whichever it is, the bath waste positioning on the stack isn't correct, the shallow bath trap and flexi pipe for the bath is not suitable for what you need and will always cause problems so needs replaced and the fall on the bath waste pipe to the main stack needs increasing. The Automatic Air Valve (big valve on top of vertical stack) which specifically needs to be an external type, will need inspected every year to ensure it works correctly that's why it is better to vent the main stack to the air, as others have mentioned.

Thank you. You have totally made up my mind. I'm going to change the stack to the usual type and just have it painted white. I guess it isn't the end of the world to have a soil pipe at the front of the house.

I appreciate what we say isn't always what you want to hear, but ultimately, we are giving our time for free, and don't stand to make anything from the advice given. All we are bothered about is that what you've got works properly, so advice is given to assist with achieving that end.

I appreciate what we say isn't always what you want to hear, but ultimately, we are giving our time for free, and don't stand to make anything from the advice given. All we are bothered about is that what you've got works properly, so advice is given to assist with achieving that end.

I always appreciate having things done right. At the end of the day, I would have thought the majority of posters on here are DIYers, so you are always going to get a mixed bag of responses. I'm not quite sure how I am going to tell my nephew 'without hurting his feelings', that the DIY job he has done for me is a total bodge lol.

Thinking about it Hugh... It would be useful if there was a forum indicator on profiles/screen names that showed if the poster is a tradesman or DIYer!

Can this be raised as a forum suggestion? I'll have a root around ;)

Thinking about it Hugh... It would be useful if there was a forum indicator on profiles/screen names that showed if the poster is a tradesman or DIYer!

How does that help. Some tradesmen are incompetant and unethical in their business and working practises. Should they be given a "mark of recommendation" ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back