Water company placing silver canisters next to external stop tap - what are they???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of water company workers have just been down our street, dropping silver canisters (about the size of a 500ml coke bottle) down the holes next to the external stop taps.
It seems they are only targeting those without a water meter.
Does anyone know what these are?
I'm guessing at it being a recording device (ultrasonic?), to monitor usage/find leaks on those properties without a meter?
I would be interestested to hear your thoughts!

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
I think you're right there . Our town has been metered for 35 or so years now. The whole lot was done @ once .

Surreptitious photo :)

20220415_130621.jpg

Not quite as big as a cola bottle!

Edit:
A Google lens search of my own pic brought up a link to 'remote noise logging' equipment!
Big brother is listening to when I flush! :confused:
I guess I won't be filling the swimming pool tonight! ;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be phoning your water company to ask them, what if they didn't put it in there?

Andy
Definitely the water company, I saw them place them at a number of stop taps down the road - and it was definitely a normal occurance for them; the devices were all hooked onto a 'Christmas tree' type hanger and they had a 'dropping off' tool. They could open the cover, and drop off the devices, all without bending down.
I wonder if it’s a way of finding an underground leak?
I suspect that's exactly what it's for.
They can already rule out the metered properties.
Or, someone's using a heck of a lot of water and isn't paying for it! ;)

They can work out the time of day you are using water, but without a calibrated orifice and pressure sensor they have no idea how much you are using.

Ok, I have sent the picture to a Thames water manager who I know and he told me it is "used to measure the flow or for a smart meter
Thanks Andy, your effort is above and beyond! :)
Its not on anyone's property?
No, our terrace fronts straight onto the street. Every stop tap is in the pavement.

There are there for leak detection (and also I presume unexpected off meter use).
They are "Gutermann Zonescan NB-IoT acoustic correlating loggers".
The loggers use the LPWAN communication system.
All the sensors switch on at 2am and listen to the adjacent pipe for flow to provide an overview of the water flowing in system in an area. (With the presumption there should be no/little flow).
Full details here:
www.iot-now.com/2021/01/07/106889-leak-detection-innovation-is-in-the-pipeline/

The loggers
https://en.gutermann-water.com/product/zonescan-nb-iot-correlating-iot-leak-logger/

And LPWAN is here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-power_wide-area_network

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back