Water Damaged Joists in En Suite

You will only be exposing the damage, you will not be attempting any repairs. Assessors often ask for exposure before they will make a judgement.
In fact, they might want to make a second visit after all joists are exposed?

The small panel of chipboard will easily lift out - just unscrew it.

What is the "black plastic lining" that you are referring to?

Sponsored Links
I suppose that's true.

Just the cheap finishing PVC board that hides the pipework of the sink and toilet. The black stuff with silver lines that you can sort of see around the sink from the photos.

Oh, I see now - its not black tile but sheets of decorated Pvc board.
I wouldn't start opening up any pipework boxing or removing any black Pvc board - at least just yet.
Just check whats visible.

This is turning fast into a nightmare as the developer who sold to me has failed to show up after agreeing the past two nights to come see the damage. He built the properties and has owned this one for 6 years before selling to me. Before he sold, he took out CRL 10-year cover for structural defects in the like (which I am sure would include this issue).

Since I can't get a hold of him at all, I tried to skip by him and contact CRL directly. They just told me that since it's 2 years (either from him selling to me, or taking our insurances with them, I am not sure) then it is completely up to him (the builder) to solve the issue and not them to pay out.

My own home insurance told me they wouldn't pay out unless it was from a burst pipe (which I told them I can't be sure it wasn't, but it really doesn't look like it was to me).

So now I am left leaving this guy voicemails and texts. I really don't have the money to be paying guys to rip walls and floors out, re-build the joists etc.

Sponsored Links
Maybe he's seen your pics on here and realised what a mess he's got. You may have to go through CAB to get some advice, or a solicitor to get even better advice. £3K seems a bit steep, given the size of the bathroom, though its hard to see from pics just how far the problems go. Nip down and ask your neighbour below if they have any problems in the ceilings. Brown stains would be what you're looking for. Their insurer might well chase your bloke for you, you never know.....Please keep us informed as to progress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back