Water dripping inside flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a baxi combi 105HE installed downstairs in my house. From when the flue gets outside it goes straight up the wall and then after a 90 degree angle (roughly) it goes horizontally for a short bit.

Now while it was heavily raining tonight I heard a constant dripping coming from inside the flue. I am certain it is the flue and not inside the boiler as I can even feel it slightly when I put my hand on the flue.

It seems obvious that rain water is getting in though I can't see how. In 3 years this has never happened so I would guess the flue was installed properly. Tomorrow I will have a good look in daylight and see if there are any obvious faults. Also the noise stops when the rain stops.

For the meantime though is this dangerous? is it a comman problem? Will the water drain off or will it cause problems? No water is leaking out yet that I can see

I will post pictures of the flue tomorrow if it will help at all?

Thanks, Shaun

Sponsored Links
Pics might help but if there is a problem with the flue you will need a RGI

The full 110mm flue should not be used outdoors!

Only the inner part in the form of a plume diverter should be used outside.

Can you post the picture as it does not sound as if correctly installed.

Tony

I will post pictures when I get home

In the meantime though what would happen to the water if it was dripping inside? Would it drain out safely? Or it it dangerous at all?

Sponsored Links
That all depends on where its getting to inside the boiler.

In the worst case the fan and the PCB could both be damaged and cost £300-£400.

Tony

Thanks for the quick reply

so there is no real chance of it affecting the gas escaping? I really just want to know if it can be dangerous for now as I have wife and kids at home

thanks again

At first sight thats probably unlikely but nevertheless it is not correct and should be inspected.

What more concerns me is that the flue sounds as if it may not be correctly installed outside.

Tony

Ok after talking to a friend I may have described this badly (as usual).

The pipe I was talking about is an extension I think. Before I moved into the house the old owner had a dispute with the neighbours over the gases going into their window shown in the first picture. Even though the owner was in the right seemingly I think he got an extension fitted to direct the gases away to keep the peace. Anyway here are some pics

CIMG6350.JPG

CIMG6349.JPG

CIMG6347.JPG

I have had a good look at it and I really am confused about how any water can get in, well enough to make a constant dripping anyway. Just to confirm as soon as the rain died down the dripping noise stopped.

Thanks again

Although its not a type I am familiar with luckily it is an approved plume diverter installation as far as I can tell. Others will hopefully confirm that.

I dont see anything wrong with it either.

The only thing you could possible do is to put some silicone bath type sealant aroung the upper joint at the base just in case water might be running down the outside of the vertical part of the flue.

However, water from condensation is normal INSIDE that type of flue and its quite possible there is a faulty joint inside the boiler which is leaking.

I would suggest you identify the exact conditions when this happens and call someone to see it at that time to open the boiler and try to identify the cause.

If its only heard outside then that is probably just a normal senario.

Tony

Yes it is odd. I hear the noise at the big pipe in picture 3 and not outside and the exact conditions so far has only been when it is ****ing down with rain :)

Just an update in case others have had this prob.

When it finally rained the other day in daylight I could clearly see the problem. There was water dripping off from the main roof and landing on top of the flue. Because the drips fell from a long way they made a loud noise which is why I could hear it from inside.

Problem not solved but at least I know it won't damage the boiler :)

That shows how an engineer can be blamed for not finding a fault on a bright sunny day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back