Water Heater is leaking, please advice?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi every one,

I just found my floor flooded with water. I have a State Elect heater and it looks like it's leaking from the top element as the insulation is soaked, but the bottom is also. I assume it's running down to it, but the weird part is the top part of the bottom element is dry and soaked on the bottom. The tank seems fine and the water heater is less than 2 years old.

It's heating great,

Can someone recommend me that how can I repair it myself or should I call technical people like Fraser’s plumbing who installed the water heater.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
There should be some sort of warranty.

But you need to check. We don't know what applies in your case.

Tony

Sponsored Links
stefanrosss,

In two years its doubtful that the W/H tank metal jacket is leaking.

Switch off electric supply at the nearby Isolator. Then go to the panel and isolate the W/H at the panel. Check - check - check that the elec. supply is off.

Wipe away and mop up all moisture.

Remove the covers and insulation to top and bottom elements.

Use tissue to dry off the element heads.

Now, carefully observe both top and bottom elements for any signs of leakage. Element gaskets are notorious for weeping.

Carefully examine the cold supply and hot outlet connections, and the Anode boss on top of the W/H.
Examine the T&P valve connection.

Also be aware that it could be leaking somewhere else on the W/H and presenting at the elements.

If nothing is revealed during your examination of the W/H then turn on the elec supply, and up your thermostat to max.
Observe again.

Try the above and then come back here.

FWIW: why was the previous W/H replaced? Was it also an elec W/H?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back