Water ingress under new (professionally fitted) garage door

Sponsored Links
so these doors would always need a strip…which goes back to my original point.

They don't always need a strip (bar exceptionally strong driving rain). My garage floor wasn't floated. When the rain is very heavy, it will let a few inches of water leak under but I expect that because the floor finish is so rough. Had my floor been smooth and tilted slightly towards the outside, I wouldn't have any water. I did once consider a weather bar, but the door is never opened so the stuff leaning against the door just sits on polythene dust sheets.

so these doors would always need a strip…which goes back to my original point.
I would suggest that the vast majority of garage doors fitted across the country don’t rely on a seal to keep water out. They rely on the correct falls to the garage to drive interface so that water runs away from the door.

Think of the tens of millions of up and over, sliding, or hinged garage doors fitted across the country. How many of them of them use a seal to keep water out?

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that garage floors HAD to have a fall to the front?
However a builder may not follow rules, and driveways sometimes fall towards the door.

Certainly my house is slightly on the crest of a bend and the houses behind me are considerably lower down.
This means that my pavement is maybe 4" higher than at the garage slab over 20 feet.

I was under the impression that garage floors HAD to have a fall to the front?
However a builder may not follow rules, and driveways sometimes fall towards the door.

Certainly my house is slightly on the crest of a bend and the houses behind me are considerably lower down.
This means that my pavement is maybe 4" higher than at the garage slab over 20 feet.

In such circumstances, they usually/ always have some means of drainage across the door.

I've got one of these doors, and unless you have a slight fall on the concrete away from the garage (as I do), or I assume some kind of threshold installed then you've got no chance...

Obviously it depends on the exposure of the door and the direction the rain comes in, but in general there is no way the rubber seal on the bottom will stop water dribbling through unless it has some help.

Thanks for the comments guys.

New door and new floor (laid level by me as I did not know and better).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back