Water leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From other posts some of you may know that I have had an issue with water logging at the side of my house (now sorted with a land drain) and low water pressure. The manhole at the side of the house which is for surface water run off feeds into the new land drain but bizarrely is STILL running at the same pace despite the fact that the weather hasn't been particularly wet. I am beginning to wonder whether I have a mains water leak. I initially suspected this and got UU out to take a look but that's when I found out I am on a private supply, consequently they weren't really interested.

I have looked around the surrounding land for any other sodden patches of ground that might indicate an underground leak but found none. I have, for a brief period, switched the mains off and the flow continues but maybe I didn't leave it long enough.

It could be draining the surrounding land but is it likely to be running at the same rate for such a long time despite the weather?

Is there any way of telling whether it's freshwater (I am not drinking it!!)

Any other things I could look out for?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
If you have somehow tapped into the water table then, unless an exceptionally dry period, water will constantly enter your system.
Especially, if you are low lying compared to any surrounding ground.

French drains, run-offs & sumps have to be very carefully thought out, and sometimes professionally designed.
You must always know where and at what depth the water table is at.

To test your water service leak theory, then turn off the external stop-tap ( and confirm it is off ) and leave it that way for, say, 48hrs - while you go away for a week-end or something.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan.

All pre-existed so I am not sure where the drain entering the manhole goes back to but it does definitely have some safe water gullies connected to it.

As you say, have to try switching the water main off for a while!!

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back