Water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of moving house. Our old house is currently empty and when I went to check on things the other day there had been a water leak. This was from the bathroom into the kitchen below. The main drip was coming from through/around the light fitting. This now does not work and if i switch the trip switch back on it immediately trips out again. I have left it off and not been to the house for a couple of days. Is it likely that the light fitting will need replacing or should it be ok when it dries out? Just wanting to know if I should get an electrician to look or whether it will be ok in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Be worth running the heating for a few hours to help dry it out (and this time of year it'd be wise to do that every day to reduce risk of freezing)

If it's a pendant light fitting, (circular box on ceiling with cord hanging down), unscrew the cover on the ceiling part to allow fresh air to circulate and help dry it out.
I assume you have mopped up any excess water you can get to?

Sponsored Links
If there is/has been water inbetween the joists, then it is possible that some hidden junction box may be filled with water.
And that will take forever to evaporate/dry out.
Try the solutions above and , if it hasnt fixed iteself in a couple of days, you may need to lift some floorboards..

Thanks everyone. I was really worried about the junction box possibility as the bathroom floor would be a nightmare to get under. However, when I went back to opened up the light fitting (one with four spots from a metal casing). The inside was full of water. once this has gone everything worked again. However, I've left it off for a few days to dry more before I switch it back on. Should this then all be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back